• Register Today It's free!

some flare questions.

Chrome_Rush

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer 2wd 5
I want to add the 2nd Gen flares to my 91. I know they mount using holes in the body but are they necessary, or could I just screw them into the fenders and rear quarters on the lips on the bottom and just use the 3m automotive double stick tape to mount them to the body instead of drilling all the holes? I'm going to patch up my rockers (haven't decided if I want to just use fiberglass or maybe try cutting out the rust then using slip over rockers (opinions?). I was just going to grab a set of 2nd Gen side skirts but the rear quarters have a few quarter sized rust spots starting as well I want to grind down and fix, but I want to throw the flares on to cover the work. I'm just trying to make it look as good as I can as cheap as I can, while also doing a repair that will last many years. I think the full 2nd Gen factory flare and side skirt kit fits the bill after the rust is fixed it will cover up all the body work.

Secondly, how do I remove the stuff? Does anyone maybe have a pic of the backside of the parts so I can see if there is a mounting surface for the double sided tape? 3rd, I'm debating what flares to use, it could be just an optical illusion on my part but the I want to say 98-01 XLS grey plastic unpainted flare kit and rocker covers look like they don't stick out as far as the ones found on the early second gen Eddie bauer models. They look slightly lower profile to me and I think may be a better option. I don't want to lift and I also don't want the wheels and tires to seem super sunk in with the flares. (Had the same issue with the flares in my gmc and had to add 2" wheel spacers to make it look right) I don't want to lift this and I want to run a set of 31x10.5 bfg all terrains I have. I'm guessing even with the xls flares (if they really are a lower profile then the eb set and will also work) I will still likely need to add a 1" spacer to the stock wheels with these tires to be happy with the look (and I'm hoping it won't rub) any input would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All of the flares for the Explorer mount by screwing the fender onto the inside fender lip. There is nothing to stick mounting tape to on the side of the fender or back of the fender flare, since there is just a thin edge that goes right against the side of the fender.

You can probably do a combo of 3M tape and screws that might hold ok, but just using all screws around the inside fender lip is the way to go, as heat and all the water/snow/rocks that get kicked up might eventally affect the tape.

If you want to mount flares, the best thing to do is get all the hardware from the vehicle that the flares came off of. The little plastic screw retainers help keep the screws in, if they fall out they can cause a flat tire.

The dark grey unpainted XLS flares do stick out less than the other big 95-01 flares, and should look fine with 31's.

I would not suggest using spacers, especially just for cosmetics. Spacing the wheels outwards puts more leverage and wear on parts like wheel bearings, ball joints, etc and the wider track changes the feel of the steering.

Another cheap fender flare option is either buying "flexy flares" that are rubber flares that bolt on the inner fender lip, or a super cheap budget version is getting the rubber liner for the bottom of a garage door or other similar rubber material at a home suppy/building supply store and using that as fender flares. Inexpensive and it works and will last.

Well I want the flares to cover up body work so I don't have to be so precise with it. Not just to have flares. So the stock type that covers a bit of the body is really what I need. I would want to go with the xls flares if I can find them. I don't mind screw g into the fender lips. I was just hoping I wouldn't have to drill the holes in the body sides. I swear I read somewhere you could mount the top potions of the flares with the tape and just use the screws inside the fender lips.

I run 2" spacers all around on my sierra I know own it can cause wear on the bearings but no more then a wheel with less back spacing would. An inch isn't going to put much extra stress on anything. Most aftermarket wheels have an inch less backspace in then the stock wheels anyways. Which puts the wheel in the same place as a stock wheel with a 1 inch spacer. 6 or a half dozen really. It's worth the small amount of extra wear to me to have it look good. After putting some miles on this truck I really like it and want to get it looking good. I may even sell my gmc and just keep this and fix it to my liking. I suppose if I have to drill the holes in the body I can. I would just rather not. The factory flares on my gmc are mounted this way as well. I didn't bother with the body clips and drilling holes. Screws into the wheel well lips but 3m tape along the body portion. 3 years later no issue. But they have a flat surface about 3/8 to 1/2" thick around the outer perimeter for the tape.

I just looked around a little bit. Pics of the backside of the flares aren't easy to come by but I did find a few on ebay with pics of the backside. From what I can see they have about a half inch flange that goes basically all the way around the top of the flare on the back where the clips would mount just like on the flares in my gmc where the 3m tape could easily go and stick the flares right to the side of the truck. I could be wrong. Maybe that flat space across the top of the flare is sunken in to far? not that you couldn't just double up the tape. It's fairly thick. I can't say for sure never having seen them in person but from the pics I saw it looks like it would work.

From what I've seen there isn't anywhere to put tape, but I suppose if you felt you wanted to, you can stick some tape on there.

The factory flares all just screw on with the screws in the fender lip, so no tape is necessary.

The side skirts are the part where you would want to use tape rather than drilling holes in the rocker panels, unless of course it already has the holes, which is what usually causes the rust and rocker panel issues in the first place, water and salt gets into the rocker through the side skirt holes and eats the metal from the inside out.

I would post the pics I found if I could. I'm not sure your getting what I'm saying though. As I already said I'm not talking about taping them on the inside fender lips those would be screws. I'm talking about using the tape only where the flares meet the body sides. There is a flat flange that appears it sits flat against the body where the stock clips fit into just like the ones on my 90 gmc that looks as wide as the 3m tape. I guess it's hard to explain without the pics. Anyone who can post pics that has any of these sitting around care to flip them over and take a pic and post it?

The side skirts will also be attached with the tape if it has the same type of flat flange area for the tape to sit on. My rockers have no holes but I will be replacing them with new rocker panels and I don't think they come with the holes in them.

I'm doing exactly what you're doing, except I opted for the newer XLT/ Eddie Bauer flares that have a flat outer edge. Anime is correct in that there's a very thin lip that goes against the body. However, you are correct in that there's a nice flat recess all the way around the flares. My plan is to put the tape here. My only concern is that the recess is pretty deep and regular 3m might not be thick enough. I haven't looked into whether or not they make extra thick tape, or if I should just double up on the tape.

I've been painting the flares and debating what I should do with the rockers (or lack thereof). It's only getting colder here in Wisconsin, and ambition for anything to do with outside is running low this time of year. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Benjam :D

I took a couple quick pictures. This is the LF fender flare, but they are all pretty similar.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Benjam :D

I've doubled the tape up before where I had a similar situation. Not sure if they make thicker tape but doubling it worked fine for me. It sticks to itself fine. I want to go with the xls flares because they stick out the least so the tires won't seem so sunken into the body. The wider the flare the more your going to have to stick the wheels out, which will just created rubbing issues.

Back