Some headers And maybe cam for 97 mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some headers And maybe cam for 97 mountaineer

Apologies in advance for bringing this thread back up after five months. I'm in the middle of swapping a '99 Explorer 5.0 into my '99 Ranger, so the engine is already out and getting some refreshing. I got a deal I couldn't refuse on the same cam that VR4 is running (CompCams XE258HR 35-510-8) and am ordering a set of springs and retainers from AlexsParts. Other than measuring for a set of pushrods during installation, is there anything I'm forgetting? Planning to run on the stock rockers for now and hoping to do headers next year sometime.
That sounds good, measuring and buying the proper pushrod(length) is the biggest key there. Go slow at the assembly of the timing cover, gaskets, exhaust etc, and watch the wiring the most. Take good car of the wires, they are old and fragile at this point, and you don't want any errant gremlins pop up after it's together.

Use the better radiator and AC condenser from a V6 Explorer, I think the OHV and SOHC use the same ones(not positive). Those are much easier to R&R, so given a choice, do those. They are easy to identify, the bottom of the AC condenser is mounted by a nice big bracket below it, that bolts quickly with two bolts at the bottom.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I actually ordered a replacement 5.0 condenser already since I'm having to install a new compressor (donor engine's compressor was locked up tight). A little late to undo that purchase unfortunately. Hopefully the clips don't give me too much trouble in the future.

What did the condenser cost BTW, I might be doing that later next year with my 99 SOHC truck.

Condenser was $52.50 (Amazon), new compressor was $132 at Rock Auto including receiver/dryer, orifice tube, and a seal kit.

Condenser was $52.50 (Amazon), new compressor was $132 at Rock Auto including receiver/dryer, orifice tube, and a seal kit.
That sounds good, the big expense is then the AC freon service, and the dryer parts if needed.

Back