Sounds from under the Hood | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sounds from under the Hood

My '97 has what sounds like the same timing chain noise as gg97 had. gg97- did replacing the rear chain tensioners solve the noise problems? My '97 makes a rattling noise but only at about 3000 rpm and up. It will do it under load as well as in park. My local independant mechanic was unable to diagnose it, but I suspect it's got something to do with the rear timing chain. Does anyone have any isight on this one? Thanks!

gg97

there was some kind of "recall/warranty" replacement of the REAR tensioners that came out this past spring.

i had this done to my '00. there was no charge. i don't think they have to pull the engine but it is about a 8 hour job.

do a search on pinging, rear tensioners. somewhere on here is the bulletin number. i'm sorry i don't have it.
the parts were on nationwide back order for like 2 months.

it SEEMS to me you should be covered.

call ford customer service.

peter

Well, here's what happened with mine. They went to do the rear tensioner and discovered rust in the motor.

Water must have gotten in the motor and rusted the camshafts, which in turn scored the cam bearings.

The crank was probably worse, but I only saw the top of the motor. It was nasty.

Can anybody say "new motor"?

I wanted new not remanufactured. There was a six week wait. My dealer was able to get a new one from the 2003 Explorer production line.
The entire engine is new, but they used my Fuel injection system. The new ones are different.

It wasn't cheap but the truck runs great. They did a very neat job. It looks like it came from the factory.
Every nut wire, and hose is in the exact right spot.

gg97

check this out Dead Link Removed

also it came out on 4.15.02

there is a number of 01M01. it involves replacing 7 parts instead of just 2.

talk with the general manager of the dealership if you have to.

peter

Back