• Register Today It's free!

Soundstream SPL 15???

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
Alright, I have heard some Soundstream subs in the past and they were loud enough to shake the entire school building's windows at more than 100yards. Now what I really want to know is are they still able to do that? I was thinking about orderin a pair of Soundstream SPL 15" subs for my Explorer, but I just want to make sure that they're gonna add a lotta thump and some accuracy as to bass. So.........Let's hear it, pros and cons, plusses and minuses....GO GO GO :)

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 hp )

After Christmas:
Superchip
NR Auto EL-Glo gauge faces
Stereo System

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry man....

soundstream was bought out (i think by legacy:( ).
they used to really kick @ss!. but now they are bargain basement flea market crap. if you want plenty of boom, check out:

MMATS JUGGERNAUT
EARTHQUAKE MAGMA OR BALLS
MA AUDIO (unsure of model)
AUDIOBAHN AW1505X or AW1508X
ORION HCCA
KOVE ARMAGEDDON "U" seies
MEMPHIS LVS

they are the bad boys of SPL. if you go to an IASCA or USAC db drag, you can bet that 9 out of 10 first place cars will be running any of these subs.

Hello there,

All I know is, if you are looking for some serious SPL, you might want to check out http://www.cerwin-vega.com and have a look at their VEGA or STROKER series subs. I've heard nothing but positive stuff about Cerwin-Vega, and the SPL of these things just KICKS IT!!!!!

Sorry, I don't have much experience with the Soundstream line, but I thought I'd make a personal note. :D

-Mike

leenjen is right eversince they were bought out they gone down the drain.

of course the list leenjen poped down is about the list you will see on the shows, however you see alot of Image Dynamics aswell, they are very resistant to high temps and resistant to the extreme forced brought on to them.

i use to have an single 15" Earthquake magma in my explorer powered by an D2 earthquake amp, that thing kicked some major booty.

as you can see in my sig i got an double setup of mmats now, and they are really awesome, however that will come at an price, 1 12" is almost twice expensive as an single 15" eartquake magma

you should be able to get your magma for about 250 dollars a piece with shipping.an 12" mmatts runs ya about 520-550 a piece...so there's alot of difference, but the spl on an mmatts is higher then an magma, however if i'd had the room in my car i would have went back to an dual setup of magmas , they are trully very good speakers for the money you count down for them, you can't hardly go wrong with them,make no mistake about it , they boys are quite heavy , weighing in over 27 LBs a piece , ooh yeah and make sure you use an box with about 1 1/4 " or 1 1/2 " MDF with atleast 1.5" bracings cause they will tear up an box in an hurry.

one of the main reasons i went for magma's back when i had the explorer is a) the price b) Xmax of 22mm wich is quit high for an woofer

Umm.....Well, I figured out that the Precision Power amp that I'm getting is too powerful for the SPL 15s. Sooooo......I think I'm going with Soundstream's "flagship", the SPL 170. Now I have heard this sub and it made all the windows in my school shake at a distance of 100 yards or more, and THERE WAS ONLY ONE! God knows how my rear is gonna hold up with 2! Anyways, how about this sub? Is it any good? I liked the sound I have heard from it, but I want to know your opinion. OH...and before I forget. I want to keep my stock head-unit (to keep the whole stock look going). Will the stock head unit in my 1995 XLT allow it to be hooked up to 2 amps? Keep those responses POURIN IN FELLAS (and ladies).....hit me up

:bounce:

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 hp )

After Christmas:
Superchip
NR Auto EL-Glo gauge faces
Stereo System

you can hook up amps to the stock HU as long as they have Hi level inputs (speaker leads instead of rcas), but the signal wont be as clean. you amps will have to work much harder to produce it's rated rms power. and then you have the distortion issue. but it can be done.

about the cerwin vega strokers...

they do hit really hard, but they are built for spl and that's it. they totally sound like crap and are butt ugly.
if all you want is a rumbling bass then the strokers will suit you fine.

What about a speaker lineout /rca converter instead of getting an amp with hi-level inputs?

you should really buy a new headunit. you don't want that nice of an amp, getting a crappy stock headunit signal. check out pioneers double din headunits, they can give you a close to stock look and more importantly 3 4-volt pre outs

Originally posted by DannyD28
What about a speaker lineout /rca converter instead of getting an amp with hi-level inputs?

it'll still pretty much be the same only that's more you'll have to buy. aftermarket hu is definately the way to go if you want a clean signal.

Back