• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug broke off...kinda

nk321810

Reaction score
City, State
The Plains, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ranger Edge 4X2
doing some maintenance stuff to my 97 V8 AWD. One of my plugs broke. the ceramic part came out clean, but the metal threaded part is still in there. I've been trying a regular extractor...no luck. I tried heating it with a propane torch too, but I don't know if it's getting hot enough.
Anyone know if the extracting tool they make for triton engines will work on my 302?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found out the had way - Use only a fluted extractor.
I tried with a regular one and at the third spark plug that broke, the extractor broke in the head.
That required removal of heads and trip to a machine shop.

Got it! Used a fluted extractor (the square kind) and found a 12 point socket that fit on it tight..then used extensions and an impact wrench. thanks for the tips.

Glad to hear that.

Square extractor is called "Stake Type". Fluted, has spirals.

Your "Very Brave" using an impact on an easy out! Those things snap if you look at them wrong.

Glad to hear that.

Your "Very Brave" using an impact on an easy out! Those things snap if you look at them wrong.

i agree that fluted easy-outs break fairly easily (they're brittle) but i disagree with using an impact. impacts don't provide much in turning torque. it's all about shocking the bolt/nut back and forth to free it. i've snapped many bolts by hand, but have never snapped one with an impact. if something wont turn, the impact really has no effect on it. it will just bang away.

Actually now I see they are both "flute". One is spiral flute and the other is straight flute.
I meant those ones, designed for thin-walled inserts like the spark plug:
9021310_atc_ac569_pri_larg.jpg
$_12.JPG

And gosh, agree, no impact tool on those extractors!!!

More desperation than bravery. Already tried a breaker bar with no luck. It was either pull the head and drill it out, break the extractor off then pull the head and drill it out, or get it out.

Well that wasn't my luck. Breaker bar and wrong extractor:

P1020129.png

More desperation than bravery. Already tried a breaker bar with no luck. It was either pull the head and drill it out, break the extractor off then pull the head and drill it out, or get it out.

I understand completely and don't disagree.

I like the stake type for thin stuff. Fluted design IMO has a tendency to swell the threads may make things tighter.

I wish my luck was as good as yours!:D

Back