Spark Plug changing.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug changing....

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Its about time for a spark plug and wire change. I have a 99 V6 SOHC, are there any tricks and/or suggestions for changing the plugs?
Thanks in advance….

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O.K. this is everything you need to know!

1) Grab a beer,
2) Have another beer,
3) Finish of last beer from step 2 and grab another one,
4) Turn on some music
5) Make sure you have lots of time on your hands!

Sorry for being so “funny”(LOL) but you really need all of these steps to remove those god forbidden bloody spark plugs. I don't know why Ford made it so difficult to get to the spark plugs! You need a whole day to remove them, unless you follow some of the tricks the guys recommend on this board. My recommendation to you, do a search under spark plugs and you will find dozens upon dozens of posts regarding this topic!

Good luck!

Peter

i tried to do it myself, ended up taking it to goodyear. they took the wheels and wheel wells off to get to them, and even then, i got a lot of whining from the mechanic when i picked it up. installation cost me $90, for plugs, wires, and tuneup

I did it myself and it took me 6 hours split over a Saturday and Sunday. I got so aggrevated with it I had to sleep on it, and that doesn't happen to me with too many mechanical jobs. Maybe I just had too many beers. On the Explorer, in my opin it was a b**** of a job, as I have said on other threads about it.

You might pay someone to do it, but I chose to do it myself so I knew it was done right...

Bob if you don't mind me asking; how old are you? I am not like trying to be suspicious or anything, just interested!

Second question: how many posts did it take for you to get "3 Explorer" status?

Thanks for the help buddy!

Regards,

Peter

the easiest way i found ot change my plugs was to do a body lift first. i changed my plugs a few months back in about 20 minutes. just reached right in through the wheelwell. thats probaly not the most logical option for you though. spark plugs are a genuine pain on these trucks.

Between getting those lousy spark plug boots off
and trying to get my fingers into spots where they were never meant to be..... I felt like I was in SOHC Spark Plug Hell. It would have taken less time to pull the tranny, put it back in and drive around town for three days.

I did lift the rubber fender skirt but didn't think to jack it up..a good one to remember

When I did mine, I found myself "between socket extensions" on the right bank. No socket extension was too short... my short extension was too long. I went out and bought one half the size of my shortie and that seemed to help.

I also found out that Ford calls for a different spark plug number on the left and right banks. Needless to say when I replaced em, mine got all the same number.

Mine had to come out early, at about 20K (under warranty). I was loosing power when the thing got hot(like in hot summer days hot)
The Ford dealer "fixed it" by replacing one spark plug... what a guy! my hero! So when it started again a month later, I did em myself. They were all misgapped! That's when the different numbers caught my eye. I did have the opportunity on a quite few occasions to point out that the "dream team" at the dealership were all onion heads. When we "discussed" the spark plug episode, they offered to pay me for the plugs. It wasn't worth the bother, I guess he didn't see the bandages and stitches on my hands.

It someone didn't already say it... go for the silicone in the spark plug boots, it will make you life so much easier

im 18, and i dont remeber how many posts to get 3 trucks, somewhere in the 200s i think

It took me about 30 minutes to do all of mine. Its not that hard with the correct extensions for your socket. Also I think I used a swivel socket in the back ones. You want to be sure that your engine is not hot when you do this. I sprayed mine down with water after I had gotten home one day from work and just let it dry/cool and was good to go.

Mine's a 94, but same access trouble. The boots were the worst. Combinations of extensions, sockets, and universals can keep the plug troubles under some control. I don't have one, but you know they make a tool to reach in and grab the bottom of the boot. I think that would help. Definately used silicone boot release when I put them back on. The tool is like a long screwdriver with a two-proged flat thing cutout to go just around the plug.

I have a boot puller but I found that there was not enough room in there to use it, at least on the passenger side.

A trick I use is to take an old rag and wrap it around my hand as I'm pulling out the boots. That way I can prevent myself getting hurt when the boot gives way. It's not 100% foolproof but it helps.

You know, there might be something to be said by taking a hole saw to that fender splash panel. The tire would cover a mulitude of sins. The thing is only plastic. I recall being tempted to take (rip) the whole thing out when I did mine.
Yeah, the boot pulled did nothing for me either. Ford would have never thought to make a removable panel.

My daughter has a Chevy Malibu. The oil filter is forward and low off the block. There is a small removable plastic panel aft of the front spoiler... open it.. and bingo.. clear access to the oil filter. What a delight.
Its too bad auto makers only talk to each other when they want to fix prices.

Maybe I should cut out and make my own panel to spite them? Naaaa!

Getting the boots off was very hard for us. As long as you have the right sockets and extensions you should be able to get to them after some effort and damaged knuckles.
good luck!

I'm SO glad I found this site! After reading this thread I finished changing those #$@* plugs in no time.

<p>I honestly liked reaching the back-right plug better without being jacked up, but then I'm not gifted in the long arm dept. You can peel that inside

<p> My ssssplorer has 110k on it, and seems to (unfortunately) fit into several of these threads. Once I got in there, It really only took me about an hour to change them out.

Changing the plugs is easy on a explorer, but try doin a ranger. Now thats hard!

Maybe I just got lucky but I don't recall having too much trouble getting mine changed. I had help from my dad and with the right length socket extension and a swivel, we didn't have too much trouble. I mean it was a tight squeeze on the rear passenger side, but with some patience we were able to get it.

see you guys are suggesting he drink and wrench...and he isnt old enough yet!

I like your solution - lots of beer. Do you know what the book shop time is for changing spark plugs in a late 90's - 2000 Ford Explorer? .... or a source for this information.?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back