Spark Plug Gap Question, Conflicting answers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Gap Question, Conflicting answers

jiimi

Reaction score
City, State
St. Mary's County, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 4door 4wd XLT
Its time for new plugs, Ive got a 94 4x4. The emissions sticker says to gap the plugs at .052-.054, But both the shop books i have say .044. When i purchased the plugs I asked the guy at the ford parts desk to gap them for me. He checked one, and say they come pregapped, and the rest should be fine, I checked the gap when i got home and it was .044. Any suggestions?

Secondly i ended up going with generic autolite plugs, the ford dealership wanted $11.00 and change per plug.

Will i notice that big of a difference? the old plugs were autolite as well. The vehicle has almost 200,000 miles on it, THnx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I suggest .048 plug gap. I use double plat Motorcraft plugs. Also change your plug wires, I use Motorcraft wires also.

.052 to .054 is the book range for a 94 Explorer. I don't know where .044 came from but that's off from stock spec.

I used to run Autolite plugs. I switched to the AWSF Motorcraft platinums recommended in the manual.
I have Jacobs wires and the Jacobs people recommended I run Autolite plugs with their wires; I don't notice any difference between the Autolites and Motorcrafts though.

The reason I switched to the Motorcraft plug was that I was chasing a pinging problem, and thought it might be related to the gap I was running (.060") or the heat range of the plug. Turns out it wasn't but it was nothing for me to change the plugs anyway.

Most of the Ford guys I talk to seem to believe in running Motorcraft plugs and wires with their Ford engines (except for the 302 Mustang crowd who have varying opinions), it's interesting. And as modded as Alec's ride is, it's worth noting he's running Motorcraft plugs and wires as well.

Yup. One heat range cooler than stock though...

You could have gotten Motorcraft plugs at AutoZone for about $4 each

One heat range cooler than stock though...

Can ya remember which Motorcraft part# plugs you are running? I can compare with mine..

nope, sorry.

Back