Successful plug and wire change, gap question. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Successful plug and wire change, gap question.

ScottInOKC

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Eddie Bauer
Thanks to this thread, I had no problems doing my first ever plug and wire change. My Explorer is at 183k miles and I'm pretty sure they were the original plugs. The drivers side plugs had gapped out to .090 and the passenger side were around .065. I knew they would open up after time, but any thoughts on the large discrepancy between the sides?

I made sure the new ones were set to .054. In addition, I changed my air and fuel filters. I'm really interested to see if my gas mileage will improve as it's steadily been going down lately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

.054 gap is what the factory recommends. and Motorcraft or Autolite double platinum seem to work best. stay away from Bosch.

Original Motorcraft AGSF22PGM/PM removed at only 58K. Glad I did it then, a couple were very screechy coming out. :eek:

DSC01700.jpg

Original Motorcraft AGSF22PGM/PM removed at 58K. Glad I did it then, a couple were very screechy coming out. :eek:

DSC01700.jpg

Those are exactly what I just pulled out, and yes, mine were pretty screechy. Honestly, a couple sounded so gritty, I was afraid I had broken them.

Back