• Register Today It's free!

Speaker size

Big Poppa

Reaction score
City, State
Safety Harbor/ Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 V8 Limited
What size are the front stock speakers in my '91 w/ JBL Premium system. I know the rear are 5x7/ 6x8's.

Also, I've finally scrounged up enough money to get some speakers- what is a good replacement. I would like to get 6x9's for the back, what has everyone used? Components for the front?

Also, has anyone cut out the factory sub box to fit a 10? Any info- thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The front ones are 6x8 also. I'm planning to get Polk Audio DX7s.

Thanks-
How much do those run? Are they stock size?

The DX7s are stock size....

Attachments

• polk.jpg
    polk.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 287

The polks are nice, too bad they're only 40 watts RMS. If you don't get an amp to power your speakers, these sound amazing off a headunit. If you get an amp, make sure it's under 50 watts to the Polks, I put 65 and they don't like that much power.

advice from leenjen [who i havent seen on here lately]:

polk dx7s for hi power head unit

infinity kappas for amped power

i bought earthquake focus and they are way better than stock and cheap too.... they fit my needs but i still need a sub..when i get more money

cutting the factory box

I belive mtx has a unit that fits in there that will house a 10 it completely replaces the factory box, the guy at the stero shopp here said the box could be cut to fit a 10 but it would sound like **** and not put out much my 2 cents dan, i used refrence series infinity up front 89.95 and they sound great

Thanks-
Would the Polks sound better than Pioneer 3-way 6x9's? From my limited experience it seems like 6x9's sound better than the 6x8's and are usually cheaper. Has anyone used 6x9's front or back?

Also, does anyone know how much volume is best for a single Kicker 10?

Originally posted by Big Poppa
Thanks-
Would the Polks sound better than Pioneer 3-way 6x9's? From my limited experience it seems like 6x9's sound better than the 6x8's and are usually cheaper. Has anyone used 6x9's front or back?

Also, does anyone know how much volume is best for a single Kicker 10?

It depends on your taste, but Pioneers tend to have harsh highs. They give me a headache. 6x9s don't sound any better than 5x7/6x8s but the selection is much better. IMO converting the speaker mounts to 6x9 isn't worth the time or effort. What is your budget? There are some cheap Audiobahns for around $60 a pair.

How do the Audiobahn's sound in comparison to the Polk's- anyone know? Are they 3-ways also?

I really don't have a budget since i think I can get my girlfriend to buy them for me, but $80 or so would be a pretty good price to stay under or around.

Also, my Kenwood HU is 45x4 max

Thanks

Originally posted by Big Poppa
How do the Audiobahn's sound in comparison to the Polk's- anyone know? Are they 3-ways also?

I really don't have a budget since i think I can get my girlfriend to buy them for me, but $80 or so would be a pretty good price to stay under or around.

Also, my Kenwood HU is 45x4 max

Thanks

The Audiobahns are two way coxials. I've never heard entry level Audiobahn speakers, but they should sound just as good as Pioneers. I'm sure another member here can give you info on those.

Dead Link Removed
Audiobahn ACX682$85.10

Dead Link Removed
Audiobahn AS57PC$46.00

You could consider the cheaper pair for rear fill to keep the cost down. Just my $0.02 ;)

80 bucks or around? Go with the Polk's. I have the dx7's powered by my head unit and they sound great. You won't have to buy an amp for 'em, and in my opinion, there aren't many better speakers for the price. Just MHO...

Back