Spectre Modular Air Intake Will It Fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spectre Modular Air Intake Will It Fit?

jweb1369

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Not sure if this is the correct section, but does anyone know if this will work? The IAC tube and the other tube that connects into the air hose doesn't really line up with the holes on this one. I was wondering if it would work with my 99 explorer sport sohc.

Air Intake:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...&fromString=search&itemIdentifier=422443_0_0_

4.0L SOHC engine (not mine):
38833383.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats the benefit if you could?
adding more air just leans out an engine unless your able to add more gas too .

whats the benefit if you could?
adding more air just leans out an engine unless your able to add more gas too .

The stock intake tube sucks big ones. Every time I work on my truck it gets black sooty stuff all over my hands and arms. It is like degrading, and I'm worried it's degrading into my intake manifold. I just want to get rid of it and go to chrome or metal. The added horsepower won't be bad either, and the truck will probably sound a little louder.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

It might work, though it looks like there is a slight downward bend to the stoc tube.
K & N I say...

Ditch the silencer and stock filter, don't replace it with an hot air intake.
OEM airbox is a great design, as close to a true CAI that you will find.
The excellent Volant is the exception but overpriced, IMO.

I just can't stand the black rubber tube. Is there anything I can get to replace it? It is like degrading really bad.

Must be the preservative or treatment you are using.
Never heard of the rubber intake tube deteriorating.
Problem is when replacing with solid tubing, getting the angles right.
BTW, is the black residue on the inside or outside?

I haven't used anything on it. It is mostly on the outside, but I believe it is also a little bit on the inside. It's hard to tell on the inside, it just doesn't feel smooth. It feels gritty almost.

I tried washing it in the sink, but that didn't help at all. There is still greasy black stuff that gets on your hands when you touch it. It's seriously the dirtiest thing in my engine compartment, and a pain when you don't have a sink in your garage to wash your hands.

BTW, the Spectre 8208 Kit will NOT fit your 4.0L SOHC. It's 4" O.D., and too large.
I would look into finding a stock replacement tube, many have replaced the complete
system with aftermarket kits. Should be many of them almost new, sitting in boxes. GL

BTW, the Spectre 8208 Kit will NOT fit your 4.0L SOHC. It's 4" O.D., and too large.
I would look into finding a stock replacement tube, many have replaced the complete
system with aftermarket kits. Should be many of them almost new, sitting in boxes. GL

I think that's what I'll do. I checked the inventory at my local Pick and Pull and they have a bunch of explorers since the last time I've been there. I'll just check them out and grab the best looking one.

Back