• Register Today It's free!

speeometer/gauge troubles

jr4773

Reaction score
City, State
lanham md
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 eddiebauer 4dr
Hi just got this 95 4.0 4x4 eddie bauer......175000 my speedometer reads about 30-35mph when in park and if youre moving....at all....it reads 50mph....anyone have this problem....trans has been replaced.....dont think its the speed sensor but I could be wrong....the messege center fuel mileage and everything seems to work right there....trans shifts fine......I am guessing its in the gauge unit itself....all other gauges seem fine.....gas gauge doesnt go up all the way but the messege center again knows how much gas is there? Just found this site the other night and found tremendous help with the headlight problem THANK YOU ALL
I just got this truck previous owner says second trans original plugs and wires...never had anything but synthetic oil and was always changed on time....not a leak anywhere everything seems great need ac charge but thats cake I searched for info on this problem and came up with not much....engine light is not on but works properly it was on with the voltage problem but that is solved....I asked the previous owner and speedometer work fine after trans change? believe this is a 96 trans if that matters but the speedometer work for " A While" after the new jasperr trans was put in it. I have only owned 1 other ford my entire life...i am gm/old vw guy...thank you

jr4773

ok i pulled the gauge cluster out....removed speedometer .....testing the contacts...looks like I got a ground .....a constant hot....a ignition hot.....a then the other contact labled "S"....guessing its from the speed sensor.....should this be hot when moving.....grounded when moving? im still searching

You are correct, your speedometer/odo is most likely bad.

ill start the hunt today for a speedometer thanks alot !

Back