Sport 2014 or wait for 2015 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport 2014 or wait for 2015

I'm happy with my order overall, but I found it annoying that the model with the most powerful engine and best braking and handling doesn't have all the same creature comfort options available as the model with a less powerful engine, smaller brakes and slightly diminished handling. The few options that the Limited has that the Sport doesn't, would be easy to offer in the sport. I get that "sports" models sometimes come with less frills, but this is an Explorer for Pete's sake not a Porsche 911.

I'm in total agreement. Having the opportunity to speak directly to the Marketing people I have had that very discussion. My frustration is over HID's, rainsense wipers, PowerFold 2/3 row seats. Options that seem to me to be very reasonable for someone who pays top dollar for a SPORT.

The response I got was "The Explorer with all those added would be $60K who is going to pay that?"

My suggestion was to make those options "ala carte" let the customer decide how many options they want, dont deny based solely on marketing strategies that separate models within a brand.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My only concern would be that offering 'ala carte' items may increase the cost somewhat and possibly add to production times. With defined packages I'm guessing it easier to set up the production line. Just a guess though.;)

Peter

I agree somewhat with the "brand image" part but that is what they are trying to change. The MKC might be a first step although it is still a fairly expensive vehicle when all decked out. Having recently leased an MKT, I can tell you it is more than just options that sets the Lincoln brand apart from the 2011 Explorer Limited I had.

Peter

You're right about that image problem but as mentioned I think thats diminishing.

I had an opportunity to drive some of the new Lincoln products they are very nice vehicles, trim is excellent. My big issue is simply I cant get used to the front nose of the vehicle. Those wings kill me, just don't get it.

I compare that to the front of the Explorer, especially the Sport and my taste is the SPORT every time.

I'm in total agreement. Having the opportunity to speak directly to the Marketing people I have had that very discussion. My frustration is over HID's, rainsense wipers, PowerFold 2/3 row seats. Options that seem to me to be very reasonable for someone who pays top dollar for a SPORT.

The response I got was "The Explorer with all those added would be $60K who is going to pay that?"

My suggestion was to make those options "ala carte" let the customer decide how many options they want, dont deny based solely on marketing strategies that separate models within a brand.

I agree. I also think the miss on HID's even as an option for the Sport is a huge miss. I have had a rule for several years to not get another vehicle w/o since I get them with my 2007 RDX (which was back in 2006). I am violating that rule with my 2015 Sport because I liked everything else....

There are also quite a few members who think the V6 3.5L Ecoboost should be an option on the Limited.

Peter

There are actually quite a few differences in the sport from any other explorer. It's not just the engine but the transmission is tuned completely different. It holds gears longer and down shifts much quicker than any other model. The transfer case will also divide the power up to a 50/50 split between front and rear whereas all other models are limited to a maximum of 40% torque to the rear. They also added an additional oil cooler for the all wheel drive system to better handle the additional power. The final drive ratio is a 3.16 instead of a 3.39 (all other models). The brakes have larger calipers and rotors even on the 2014 models. The suspension is also much firmer and significantly reduces body roll as compared to other models. The rims are also wider (9" instead of 8.5"). There are more differences than just what is listed here but I think it just comes down to weather you want every comfort option available as the limited has or if you want something that is a little more fun to drive.

Not sure about the torque figure. When I had the AWD display up on my 2011 Ex and jumped on the gas, the display showed 3 bars on the rear wheels and 1 bar on the fronts. Not sure if that equates to torque but if so it would be 75% to the rears and 25% to the fronts.
If it is like my MKT, it does hold the gears longer much to my dislike. I continually find myself letting up on the accelerator so the transmission will shift. This in the 'Comfort' mode. I wouldn't have a problem with that if I changed it to the 'Sport' mode.

Peter

Sadly they could just offer more value than charge 60K. I have spent the last few months CUV's shopping and at 60k price point even with those features they still may be a bit behind...

I agree with Sgt1411 I picked mine up this past Friday, July 25,2014. We looked at the Lincoln MKT but felt the Explorer sport looked better. We got every option except the cross roof rails and second seat console. I'm glad we waited for the 2015 model so we could get the power fold third row seats.

The concerns expressed here should be resolved when the 2016 update is released at the LA Auto Show in November.

Fresh new look with new feature packages.

So we might get our $60K Explorer SPORT after all.

Hi guys!
I finally got it! A 2015 Explorer Sport in Magnetic colour, navi, moonroof, second row captain seats. It is a beauty! Well worth the wait.

Maybe it's my eyes, but I don't see a picture of it.;)

(moved thread to 'Discussion' sub forum)

Peter

No one really knows what the 2016 holds (beside ford employees). Based off the 2015 mustang reveal, I would guess HID, rear camera, push button start all standard. Small design ques, with a front and rear refresh including LED accents (see mustang headlights). Maybe a 2.3L ecoboost to replace the 2.0? A few more weeks and we shall all see.

I've heard that it will have LED headlights with a front end and rear end re style. Possible engine changes as dentalpain mentioned. These are general changes I heard about and not sure if they apply to all or just certain models. First public reveal I believe is at the LA Auto Show in November.

Peter

Back