Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport EcoBoost 3.5L Tuning

What Tune and What year are you talking about getting 500HP from a Ex Sport? Is that even possible?

They haven't changed the SHO/Explorer Sport engine/turbo combo since they debuted. The ECU has changed over the years though. But 48-50 lb/min air flow is what you get when it is tuned. Throw in E30 fuel, and you can increase spark for more power as well. SHOs are running low 12s with tune-only, so the Explorer Sports are just slightly slower due to being heavier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noob question here:

In order to remove the engine cover, you have to remove the oil cap correct? Is there a recommended time frame after the vehicle has been driven (5-10 miles) that I should let it cool down prior to taking the oil cap off or is it the same either way since I am just taking it off to remove the cover?

Thanks.

Noob question here:

In order to remove the engine cover, you have to remove the oil cap correct? Is there a recommended time frame after the vehicle has been driven (5-10 miles) that I should let it cool down prior to taking the oil cap off or is it the same either way since I am just taking it off to remove the cover?

Thanks.
I've only taken mine off once and I believe I had to remove the cap. The cap can be removed at any time. It's not like a radiator cap.

Peter

Noob question here:

Thanks.

There's a gasket around the oil cap where the engine cover clips onto. You can remove the oil cap so the gasket comes off with the cover. I just lifted the cover off the gasket. It feels like it will tear the gasket, but I kept doing this on the SHO without any issues. I didn't like the idea of dust/grit possibly falling into the fill tube. I'd inspect the Explorer Sport to make sure it is the same design, but from what I have seen, it is the same engine cover with different text.

Thanks, was able to flash the 91 tune last night with the 3 bar MAP sensor and it seems to be quite an upgrade for normal city driving.

Haven't tried WOT on the highways yet but looking forward to it!

I have a livernois 93 tune on my exp sport, also have the livernois intake, plugs, thermostat & map sensor. It has definitely made day to day driving more enjoyable by providing a lot more real-world power. I think I want to take it one step further and purchase the thunderstorm downpipes. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it/what should I expect? I want a little more throaty-ness to my exhaust without actually changing the mufflers(I hate loud/droning exhaust).

HELP....noob question here! as someone new to world of tuning and aftermarket parts ive been doing alot of research in tuning my 17'explorer sport.

although there seems to be alot of positive feedback and testimonials out there i have come across some documentation that states that ford kept the explorer 3.5L ecoboost at 365HP (vs the higher HP rated expedition and f150 with the same engine) because the explorer drive shaft "cannot reliable perform at higher outputs". is there any truth behind this statement, whats does this mean for overall mechanical reliability, and what should be the concern of someone tuning their explorer over the stock HP rating?

the above is similar to something I've always wondered about for say mustang modifications where ppl take a stock GT and modify up to 800HP. how does a car's mechanical components handle that much more aftermarket power output without changing basically all the major components such as a transmission?

any input would be appreciated. thanks!

Welcome to the Forum kds1287.:wave:
It does make some sense that parts are designed to operate at factory specs, but I also do not recall reading about any driveline failures attributed to the tuning upgrades. Any such failures would not be covered under existing warranties.

Peter

the wheels just spin, maybe if you were to put 4 racing tires on at the track you might snap something due to too much traction after quite a while of abuse. This is assuming you floor it everywhere you go. If you were to modify your Explorer to the extent you need fuel upgrades and have added drag tires then I would take a step back and see what breaks, but you should be fine with any big brand name tuner out there. If you don't have the traction to put the power down that's the "weak link" in saving your drivetrain.

the wheels just spin, maybe if you were to put 4 racing tires on at the track you might snap something due to too much traction after quite a while of abuse. This is assuming you floor it everywhere you go. If you were to modify your Explorer to the extent you need fuel upgrades and have added drag tires then I would take a step back and see what breaks, but you should be fine with any big brand name tuner out there. If you don't have the traction to put the power down that's the "weak link" in saving your drivetrain.
Thanks reserved50. never really considered that perspective but being new to modifying I'm a little skitish about damaging a car i love. thanks for the input.

Hey guys just wanted to jump in on this. Now how to preserve this is by not taking all the torque management of tune from factory. We want to keep some in so you do not snap axles or other parts. Now as for longevity we have had no issues with our tuning and people have put our tune on as soon as they got it. And are now over 100k miles on truck.

I have a livernois 93 tune on my exp sport, also have the livernois intake, plugs, thermostat & map sensor. It has definitely made day to day driving more enjoyable by providing a lot more real-world power. I think I want to take it one step further and purchase the thunderstorm downpipes. Has anyone done this? Is it worth it/what should I expect? I want a little more throaty-ness to my exhaust without actually changing the mufflers(I hate loud/droning exhaust).
And as for the downpipe upgrade it will free up about 10-15hp and 25-30hp if combined with catback. As for noise level the downpipe doesn't change sound to much but catback will increase sound. We use a drone free exhaust that does increase the sound and performance for you. Thank you

HELP....noob question here! as someone new to world of tuning and aftermarket parts ive been doing alot of research in tuning my 17'explorer sport.

although there seems to be alot of positive feedback and testimonials out there i have come across some documentation that states that ford kept the explorer 3.5L ecoboost at 365HP (vs the higher HP rated expedition and f150 with the same engine) because the explorer drive shaft "cannot reliable perform at higher outputs". is there any truth behind this statement, whats does this mean for overall mechanical reliability, and what should be the concern of someone tuning their explorer over the stock HP rating?

the above is similar to something I've always wondered about for say mustang modifications where ppl take a stock GT and modify up to 800HP. how does a car's mechanical components handle that much more aftermarket power output without changing basically all the major components such as a transmission?

any input would be appreciated. thanks!

Well, just to touch on the point you made about the X Sport and the F150, you are aware the engine configurations are different between the 2, right? That accounts for some, but not all, of the differences. I have to imagine, from a factory produced driveshaft, that a straight rear drive driveshaft, such as on the F150, is more "stout" than the CV axles used in vehicles like ours, with transverse engines., That being said, it's not unheard of to have CV axles that can be made to be more "stout". Not sure if there's anyone out there doing this. But this engine/chassis has already been proven to produce well over 600-700hp in the Flex/SHO platforms.

Has anyone with the Livernois tuner also owned the SCT X4? I have the SCT, but would be interested to get real world (non-manufacturer) opinions of someone who has owned both.

Has anyone with the Livernois tuner also owned the SCT X4? I have the SCT, but would be interested to get real world (non-manufacturer) opinions of someone who has owned both.
Hey I have been waiting for someone to respond to you so it would not be a manufacturer giving you opinions. Since no one has replied to you I just wanted to ask if there is a certain area you are wondering how the tunes work. If you want to ask us anything do not hesitate.

Hey I have been waiting for someone to respond to you so it would not be a manufacturer giving you opinions. Since no one has replied to you I just wanted to ask if there is a certain area you are wondering how the tunes work. If you want to ask us anything do not hesitate.

Not really wondering the "How" in the tune. I have owned several tuned turbo vehicles. The last being an APR Stage 3 GTI. I was looking for someone who has tried both tuners to see what their impressions were of the two. I don't really need $1000 worth of tuners (with one just occupying space in a drawer) if the truth of the matter is that there is only a difference of +/- 10hp between the two. $60/hp would be a fools bet, and not really even something that you could feel with the good ol' butt dyno.

Not really wondering the "How" in the tune. I have owned several tuned turbo vehicles. The last being an APR Stage 3 GTI. I was looking for someone who has tried both tuners to see what their impressions were of the two. I don't really need $1000 worth of tuners (with one just occupying space in a drawer) if the truth of the matter is that there is only a difference of +/- 10hp between the two. $60/hp would be a fools bet, and not really even something that you could feel with the good ol' butt dyno.

Ya I'm not sure what your current tune puts down on explorer. I can tell you ours picks up around 70awhp usually from a stock tune plus 90 ft lbs of torque. So you have to decide what is worth it for the gains you may see. Just let me know if any thing else I can help you with.

I have both, what would you like to know?

I have both, what would you like to know?
Which makes better power and where in the RPM range? Which gives you the better gas mileage? Which one do you currently use? Which one would you buy right now, knowing what you know from real world daily driving with both tuners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kind of new here so if I missed a thread discussing the 2019 Explorer Sport my apologies. In all of my research I have yet to find a sport tune for this year/model. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be extremely grateful.

Back