Sport Trac Roof rack delete w/ photos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac Roof rack delete w/ photos

84convertablegt

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I just got finished deleting the roof rack on my Sport Trac. I really like the look. The roof rack is something I will never use and I like the sportier Adrenalin look. To remove the roof rack you use a T25 torx (I think it was) and remove the 8 bolts under the plastic caps on each of the 4 corners (2 under each of the plastic caps). The plastic caps have to be pried off. Take care not to break them if you want to save your old stuff.

I used automotive plastic push style rivets similar to what is used to hold the grill on. They were a Dorman product sold at Advance Auto Parts. I used a surface adhesion promoter for plastic followed by primer, paint, and clear coat. I then used a clear adhesive silicon sealer to glue them in the holes where the bolts were in the roof. You have to make sure these are sealed well, otherwise water will be able to leak into your roof. Just use plenty of silicon and wife off the excess quickly.

This is a self explanatory, simple project. Ive included pictures for reference.
BEFORE
rk4kzp.jpg

PLASTIC PUSH RIVETS INSTALLED
4tagxe.jpg

ANOTHER SHOT
coww9.jpg

AFTER
2q30klw.jpg

2ufvubp.jpg

My next project will be to paint the silver on the running boards body color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting, and nice write up. Looks like a very clean job too.

nice job! :thumbsup:

Looks good! I've been debating about doing this to my ST as I don't see ever using my roof rack.

Very nice touch with the painted plastic inserts.

Can't wait to see pics of the matched running boards.

:thumbsup: Nice job

I need my rack for canoes, skiis, etc. But if its the sporty look your going for I think it works.

Oh hey, btw - Might want to hold on some your roof rack for a bit. I need the left (driver), back corner-bent-type black plastic piece. My ST didn't have one when I got it, I made them put one on and a few weeks ago I saw the same piece was missing again. I went to this car wash place that I had just been to the other day, but they said they never throw stuff away and they couldn't find it.

I'd rather give the money to a person than fomoco, but I have to figure out how much the dealer would want first.

One thing's for sure, I'm epoxying that b*tch on this time. Damn Ford plastic, if my truck didn't have any plastic on it, I would've never had any problems with it.

Back