• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Door Question

itzbinnice

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Xlt Black
Do any of you guys (or gals) experience front doors that squeak when opening and closing?
Since I got my 95X in 98 my doors have constantly squeaked. I have pinpointed the location, it's the same on both front doors. It is where the door meets the thick rubber weather stripping by the rear view mirrors.
To see that point for yourself, open the door fully and it is the point where the only part of the door is still in contact with the weather stripping.
It's not hinge related, they are well greased with white lube.
To stop the noise I spray the weather stripping with silicone spray that lasts about a week and then the squeak returns. I have put heavy coats of wax both on the outside of the door and on the inside skin but that hasn't helped either. Would like to hear if anybody else has this problem and any ideas of what I can do to silence it. Thanks for your response.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

same problem... and i've tried a few things but nothing has fixed it. I figure if that's the biggest problem i have to spend my time on i'm doing ok.

I've got a squeak in the driver's door. But I think mine may be different because I wrecked the Explorer and when the dealer fixed it and gave it back to me it was ok. But about a week or 2 later it started squeaking. I'm too lazy to let Ford look at it again.

Mine did the same thing!!!

until i just cut that part of the weatherstripping off.....

didn't hurt a thing.

had the same problem here too! But usually the squeaking varied on the humidity levels and such (I think)!! Anyways I spray a little WD 40 every month or so and so far its all good.

Well guess I'm not the only one with this annoyance. Everyytime I open the doors It sounds like I'm entering the Muensters residence. Wow Jason, it must have really bothered you to cut off that part of weather stripping.
Have two choices here, enter vehicle from rear hatch and climb over seats, or live with it, I think i'll choose the latter. Thanks for your input.

one of my doors squeeked for a while, then i put some WD40 on it and hasn't squeeked since.

On another car, I applied a very small amount of grease on the weather stripping. I didn't have to do it but one time. The grease should last a long time. A thin layer should not make a mess, so give it a try.

Back