squealing / chirping belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squealing / chirping belt

dkeyser

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 2000 Explorer v6, it makes a squealing/chirping noise in the belt. I had the belt and tensioner replaced at a local shop. The noise stopped for 15-20 miles then came back slowly at first and the louder. I then had the idea I should bring it to the local ford dealer. They said it was done and had some slick stuff on the NEW belt, so they got me for $72.00 for a new belt and $108 for labor to replace they belt and clean the pulleys. I head home and 10 miles later the squeal/chirp came back, same as before quieter then louder. I returned it to the shop and they brought it in again. They said the tensioner was faulty so the zinged m for new tensioner and installation. I headed home and again 10 miles down the road and it squealed/chirpped again. So I brought it back again, they said the tensioner was at a slight angle fixed it then put a new belt on again. (at their dime this time). On the way home the hood flew up and smacked the roof causing lots of damage ( not to mention scaring the crap out of my GF). They repaired all the damage, but it took two weeks. I picked it up today and guess what it is still squealing!!! Does any one have any advice about what might be wrong??? I am calling them again tomorrow but it would be great if I had a direction to send them because they clearly have no direction and it has been since the week before Christmas and I have been without my SUV.
Thanks Dennis

sounds like it could be the camshaft position sensor drive. Read the squeak, squeal and chirp noises "sticky thread" at the beginning of this forum for more info..

It doesn't make the noise when the belt is off, and turning the pulleys by hand doesn't make any noise. I am thinking I might take a 12v motor and try to drive each one independantly (I'm not sure of the logistics of it but Ihave a good sized 12v motor).

Back