Squeeling from brakes after replacement HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeeling from brakes after replacement HELP!!!

4Wheelin

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown, Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer Sport 4x4
About 4 months ago I replaced my front brake pads and the drivers side rotor. I had worn the pads down so much that they dug into the rotor and instead of having it refaced. There was a squeeling/crunching noise coming from the front when I applied the brakes but I thought it was due to the worn out pads but it isn't. I still hear that noise everytime I hit and release the brake. I don't have a clue why it does this and it is really starting to bother me alot. If anyone could help me out with any type of suggestion it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont know about the crunching, but the squeeling may be normal. when you get new brakes, for the 1st 500 miles or so, they need to seat themselves, so you should take it easy, and they will squeel during this period.

after the break in period, they shouldnt squeel - i mean, you might get the occasional squak out of em, unless they used a metallica composite pad - then theyre gonna squeak for ya.

hopefully someone with a little more brake knowledge will either confirm what i said or just call me an idiot, in which case you can just ignore everything i just said :)

I destroyed a rotor the same way. I had noticed that the right side always had more brake dust than the left. I believe it was due to a faulty caliper. I replaced both calipers and rotors and installed new pads. Seems to have fixed it.

I used Bendix pads for SUV's and I got the good ones too but on the driver side (I think the problem side) I think the "squeel pad" might have come off during installation but I don't see why that would make that much of a difference.

Did you use plenty of grease on the BACK of the new pads? If you don't, they will squeal. Just don't get any grease on the front of the pads...

Where on the back of the pad does it go? because I am pretty sure I didn't do that.

Most pads have a metal-type backplate, on which the pad material itself lies. On the inner pad, you're supposed to spread a light coating of grease on the back of the pad...in other words the metal piece. On the outer it's similar. Don't overdo it on the grease, just a light coating.

Appropriate grease is caliper slide rail grease or similar, available at an auto parts store. Note however, on 95+ I believe there is a special grease available from Ford you have to use. I am not sure since I own a 94. Maybe someone can elaborate on this?

I took the wheel off today to try and fix the problem and after greasing the back of the pads I found the problem and it had nothing to do with the brakes at all. It turns out that my front bushings are bad so I gave them a generous shot of WD-40 to stop the squeak for now and I am going to have them replaced soon. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciated it.

Back