squishy sound when pressing brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squishy sound when pressing brakes

jrobie79

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited 4.6 VIN "W"
Just got a new to me 02 Limited v8 - 128k on the clock

Noticed today while at a stop light that when I depress the brake pedal (after being stopped) it makes a squishy sound....now the brakes definitely don't feel as good as my XLT brakes (recently replaced it due to rod knock - 02 XLT v6). It still stops but seems like it requires more effort and almost fades a little. I initially chalked up to difference in performance to to me putting new rotors/pads on the XLT - thermoquiet semi with raybestos rotors

However it appears after some brief reading this could be the master cylinder on its way out....is that accurate? I planned on taking my pads/rotors off the XLT before I ship it to the junkyard (less than 3k on that setup), but if its the master cylinder, I'd like to do that while I'm doing all my other tune up stuff this weekend

thoughts?

Squishy/spongey feel usually is an indicator of air in the system.

I'll have it on the lift this weekend, I'll inspect all the lines/hoses thoroughly. I'm going to flush the fluid anyways Just because its easy enough

Back