• Register Today It's free!

stalling in heat

Lochlain

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum and a relative car novice and was hoping for some advice on what to check on a '96 Explorer that stalls in the heat.

It is my wife's truck, and it now sputters before stalling after being driven in the heat. It has not stalled driving 20 miles at 70 degrees or below, but will last maybe 3 miles when it is 90 degrees outside. I've noticed it is when the needle is about 25% between cold and hot on the temp dial that I have to start worrying.

I have replaced the coil pack, and it did not solve the problem. I've been told it may be the crankshaft sensor but the symptoms I read online don't seem to match. The only other symptom I notice is it will sputter maybe 30 seconds before it stalls. It will not start again after stalling for 20 minutes.

I suspected the fuel pump but it was replaced 18 months ago, and car guy pal says probably not the pump because strainer valve had gas flowing.

I can't afford to take it to the shop for another month so I'd appreciate any ideas! The only other info I have is that the wife says it has stalled on her before going 50, though I've only had it happen while idling. It also started this on the day she accidentally drove it in 2nd gear for 10 miles (going around 45-50mph for a good part of that).

Thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could the coolant temperature sensor be the culprit? There is no black smoke and still no check engine light.

I went ahead and changed out the crankshaft position sensor since it was cheap enough but the problem is still there.

Have you checked your coolant level? Could the car be overheating and stalling? A bad sensor could make you think it is not temp related. But overheating then cooling off allowing you to restart sounds like it may fit.

Check engine light or trouble codes?

No check engine light. I was told scanning for codes wouldn't help as there is no light and hasn't been one.

I checked the coolant with one of those plastic things that test the boiling point and it was good. Looked clear, and yes the coolant level is full

This is going to sound crazy, but put wood clothes pins on the injectors if you can reach them, sometimes fuel boils in the rails or injectors and vapor lock occurs and will block fuel flow. I'm trying this on my 99 Mountaineer, I'm in Vegas and its doing the same thing as soon as I exit the hiway after 30 miles.

Back