Standard vs heavy Duty brake package identification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Standard vs heavy Duty brake package identification

CPolarBear

Reaction score
City, State
Moyock, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Ford Explorer Limited
We just bought a used 2014 Explorer Limited 4WD that will go with our son to college next year. Brakes were good enough to pass a VA state inspection, but inspection by a technician revealed the rear rotors were pitted and fronts were getting close to failing width specs, as well as all pads nearing end of life. So, doing some research, everything said it had the 12.8"/325mm brakes, so I ordered a full vehicle Powerstop kit. Well, pulled the first set off the pass front, and found out the stock brakes were much bigger, the pads and caliper clips were different, so looks like we have the heavy duty brakes on our vehicle. Is there any way to check via the VIN or by a code list where I could have verified that we had the heavy duty setup? Is that something that would have been upgraded with a tow package or something? Wonder what else I might have to deal with that is different than what I am seeing in VIN decoder printouts...

Thanks in advance for the information from those that have more up front knowledge!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checking on a Ford Parts site with VIN may have identified HD brakes.
All Explorers after about mid-2013 model year got the HD brakes, so you have HD brakes.

Unfortunately, most parts systems didn't differentiate that and still show standard brakes available for most (all?) 5th gen Explorers.

Peter, Thanks, wasn't looking for purchase locations, appreciate the response.
I just posted the links so that you could check the items you are looking for and the verify fit using your VIN.

Peter

I just posted the links so that you could check the items you are looking for and the verify fit using your VIN.

Peter
I researched it looking for brake parts, and it still comes up as a yes or no depending on which site I look at when I pull a Ford part number and try to locate something saying these parts are standard duty or heavy duty. Worse, the Ford sites don't even give the specs/dimensions of the parts (rotors)

If you want good pads, go with the Wagner OEX, you can get them from Rockauto. Fantastic stopping power and no dust. I have them on the front of the Explorer and all 4 on our Armada, and I never knew that beast could stop so quickly. And yes you have the HD brakes, front rotors are 352mm I believe, I had a '14 before this one.

If you want good pads, go with the Wagner OEX, you can get them from Rockauto. Fantastic stopping power and no dust. I have them on the front of the Explorer and all 4 on our Armada, and I never knew that beast could stop so quickly. And yes you have the HD brakes, front rotors are 352mm I believe, I had a '14 before this one.
Thank you. I already ordered (exchange) the replacement Z23 kit from Powerstop. I had same kit on our 08 Expedition and liked them.

We just bought a used 2014 Explorer Limited 4WD that will go with our son to college next year. Brakes were good enough to pass a VA state inspection, but inspection by a technician revealed the rear rotors were pitted and fronts were getting close to failing width specs, as well as all pads nearing end of life. So, doing some research, everything said it had the 12.8"/325mm brakes, so I ordered a full vehicle Powerstop kit. Well, pulled the first set off the pass front, and found out the stock brakes were much bigger, the pads and caliper clips were different, so looks like we have the heavy duty brakes on our vehicle. Is there any way to check via the VIN or by a code list where I could have verified that we had the heavy duty setup? Is that something that would have been upgraded with a tow package or something? Wonder what else I might have to deal with that is different than what I am seeing in VIN decoder printouts...

Thanks in advance for the information from those that have more up front knowledge!
As Peter said, they changed midway in the 2013 production to include the HD brake package on all Explorers at some trim levels. One way to check is to measure the diameter of your front rotors. HD brakes have 13.86" diameter front rotors and Standard duty has I think 12.8" diameter front rotors.

Back