2013 Explorer standard vs heavy duty brakes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer standard vs heavy duty brakes

sparty87

Reaction score
City, State
Ithaca, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer - Base
I went to Oreillys and got a new caliper, rotor and brake pads since I had a seized caliper and those other parts needed to be replaced too. After replacing them there’s a almost humming sound now coming from right rear brakes and it gets very hot even after a short test drive. Also you can smell the pads as well. I took everything apart thinking it might be the clips were in wrong but now it’s doing it again. Sound stops after I get up to 20-25mph.

I’m thinking I may have gotten the wrong brake pads at Oreillys? I don’t know what else could be wrong. I put the 330mm rear rotor on so I thought it would be standard. C1377 is the part number of pads I put on. Any thoughts? It looks like in 2013 some models started using heavy duty but I’m pretty sure mine is just a base model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Explorers were upgraded to the heavy duty brakes partway through the 2013 model year build. I believe the HD brakes were installed after a December 2012 date.

Peter

All Explorers were upgraded to the heavy duty brakes partway through the 2013 model year build. I believe the HD brakes were installed after a December 2012 date.

Peter
Mine was built April 2012

Mine was built April 2012
I had a similar issue on one of the rear brakes on our 2014. After replacing rotors & pads on one side I did not get the two pins on the back of the pad lined up with the slot in the caliper piston. I did not hear a sound but the rotor on that side got really hot. Just a thought...

Besides the build date there´s a very easy way to know if you have HD brakes. The Standard front brake rotors center Hub is solid, the HD has holes. Of course the HD rotors are bigger but if you don´t have both you can´t notice.
The Standard rear brake rotors are solid, the rear HD are vented. This can be a bit hard to see, but with the help of a flash light you can.

Back