• Register Today It's free!

Starter location

bert2369

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ford Explorer
I think I need to replace the starter on my 02 explorer 4.6L 4X4. When I try to start it, it just clicks. Radio, headlights, and all electrical work fine, just won't start. I cannot find the starter. I know it's supposed to be on the lower, rear of the engine on the driver's side, but I am still not having any luck. Anyone have a diagram or photo? I even have the vehicle on jacks and tried following the battery wires, but they branch off into so many directions. Any tips or advice? besides go to a mechanic :)

Ok, so I think I found it, on the passenger side of the engine. It has wires going to it with a red plastic cap on the end that says 12V and two screws holding it on. Just doesn't look like the picture of the replacement part. Any ideas?

Ok, yes, I am a first timer, I found the starter, now deciding if I should tackle the job myself or let someone else replace it. Very tight (non-existant) budget.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check and see if your battery is ok, and also make sure your battery termanels are not corroded and they have a good connection. Usually the clicking means their is not enough power going to the starter, could be a dead battery or not getting a good connection.

the starter is on the front of the moter on the drivers side. if you crawl under their you will see a big cylinder. it has 3 wires going to it and 2 bolts holding it to the block. hope that helps

Thanks! going to check the cables now. hopefully that will solve it

My '02 XLT did the same thing late last year. I just put a new battery in and cleaned the clamps up at that time. If you still have the OEM battery in your '02 it's probably time for a new one.

A New Symptom

I noticed late last night another symptom. When I turn the key, it just clicks. But, it continues to click even after I release the key. Also, while I am turning the key, the guages go wild... spedometer maxes out, temperature guage moves rapidly up and down, and the airbag, battery, engine, and other lights flash many times. I think it may be possessed. Any ideas on this? Thank you for the advice so far also!

i believe the starter is on the back of the engine? i just did a swap and remember the bolts holding it on being a pain in the ass. next to the tranny on the passenger side to be exact. correct me if im wrong.

I think what you are really needing is an explorer exorcism.

Thanks for the help! Replaced the starter and battery, runnning fine..for now. Hopefully the evil spirits left with the old starter!

And for my model, the starter was on the passenger side, rear of the engine. I could look across the top of the front passenger tire, towards the engine, and see it.

the pictures look like alot more room ....i managed to get the mounting bolts out...when i tried for the solenoid botls they loook reallllly corroded ..what are the exact sizes of the nuts....and theres no room to take the starter out from underneath? seems it must come up rom top ....if i had to cut the wires ....the main positive would that be the same if i ran a complete new one straight from the battery to the soleniod? ...that is always live right??? then i could reconnect the smaller one ....thats the one that gets the power when key is turnned.......any tips?? should i bolt starter back up and try and get the soleniod nuts off first?

if i had to cut the wires ....the main positive would that be the same if i ran a complete new one straight from the battery to the soleniod? ...that is always live right??? then i could reconnect the smaller one ....thats the one that gets the power when key is turnned.......any tips?? should i bolt starter back up and try and get the soleniod nuts off first?

I can't tell you how hard it is to remove the starter on these Explorers, but "yes", the red positive cable going from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter solenoid is always "hot or live", unless you disconnect the cable at the battery end first, which I "highly" suggest you do before you start cutting any wires down there! If you are going to replace the starter with a new one, I suggest getting a new solenoid for it as well, since you'll have it apart anyhow. Don't want to use an old solenoid with a new starter right? Taking the starter out with the solenoid attached to it will be the easier thing to do(as long as there is room to do it this way under there), rather than separate both of them from each other under the vehicle. Mark each wire so you know what post it connects up to, for when you go to re-install the new starter/solenoid. You can connect the new starter and solenoid to each other on a work bench prior to installation. BTW, the post you were responding to was nearly 4 years old.

I can't tell you how hard it is to remove the starter on these Explorers, but "yes", the red positive cable going from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter solenoid is always "hot or live", unless you disconnect the cable at the battery end first, which I "highly" suggest you do before you start cutting any wires down there! If you are going to replace the starter with a new one, I suggest getting a new solenoid for it as well, since you'll have it apart anyhow. Don't want to use an old solenoid with a new starter right? Taking the starter out with the solenoid attached to it will be the easier thing to do(as long as there is room to do it this way under there), rather than separate both of them from each other under the vehicle. Mark each wire so you know what post it connects up to, for when you go to re-install the new starter/solenoid. You can connect the new starter and solenoid to each other on a work bench prior to installation. BTW, the post you were responding to was nearly 4 years old.

yea i realize it was an old post but rather then create a new thread i chose to bring it up in a thread already made about the subject makes iot easier for other in future who are searching ... other things ive searched u get 10000 threads asking about the same thing and have the same answer... i have been using this site for years ive owend 6 explorers scince my first one which was a 93 2 door then had two 2nd gen a 97 and a 98....then had a basic 3rd gen 02 ..followed that up with my favorite it was an ex k9 unit 03 white tinted out and black rims talk about fast it was total police package ...it was savage currently now 04 black.... but yeah i only recently registered because this site has helped me over the years and i have alot of knowledge aqbout explorers as well so why not help people that have helped me...sorry for rambling but back to the starter-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have replaced many starters on many vehicles but this one is being a serious ***** ...my problem is that the wires connected to the soleniod are too coroded to turn ( i believe) especially since i have the mounting bolts already out ..there is ver little room as it it and now qith the starter out of the hole theres no chance of getting something to turn the nuts...my question is would it be easier to rebolt the starter back in and then try to remove the nuts? ...i hate to cut the wires but i will if i have to ...if i do that rather then reconnection the old main positive i will run a new one from the battery to the new starter and rejoin the small wire.... there is no room the take the starter our from under let alone wiggle a new one p from under so i presume it has to be removed and replaced from above?... from, your post you have given me an idea ...it is possible to remove the starter from the soleniod? maby then with the starter out of the way it would be easier to the the nuts and wires off the soleniod .....could you clarify how to actually remove the soleniod? ....would that be done by removeing the two skinny longggg bolts from the back of the motor housing? i dont care if it comes out in pieces i just need it out lol ...so yeah if you could clarify on how to detach the starter from the soleniod or have any other suggestions please fill me in ...i apologize for my LONGGGGG post ...but any help is appreciated........whats the proper way that its usally done..... its very little room for the ratched underneath cant even get a quater tun at a time on each mounting bolt .

yea i realize it was an old post but rather then create a new thread i chose to bring it up in a thread already made about the subject makes iot easier for other in future who are searching ... --------------------------------------------------------------------------

my question is would it be easier to rebolt the starter back in and then try to remove the nuts? >>>>>>>>>>from, your post you have given me an idea ...it is possible to remove the starter from the soleniod? maby then with the starter out of the way it would be easier to the the nuts and wires off the soleniod .....could you clarify how to actually remove the soleniod? ....would that be done by removeing the two skinny longggg bolts from the back of the motor housing?>>>>>>>>>>>> ..so yeah if you could clarify on how to detach the starter from the soleniod or have any other suggestions please fill me in t .

The only reason I mentioned the old posting was because you may not hear from the people in that post, being that some may not own their Explorers anymore or frequent the forum still.

On your questions, I would re-bolt the starter mounting bolts and try to unbolt the solenoid wire bolts first (2 of them labeled "S" and "B+" terminals. then remove the wire ends from the solenoid, then unbolt the starter from the vehicle. Try to clean off the corrosion from the solenoid wire bolts first. You will need to remove the solenoid wiring first, before dropping the starter motor. If you have to cut the wires due to corrosion, cut them off as close to the solenoid terminals as possible, so you have enough wire to play with to connect up new wire ends to them for remounting to the new starter/solenoid posts. I would also install a new positive battery to starter cable. Keep track of what wires go to what post. The solenoid mounting bolts to starter(if any), would be shorter screws, so don't remove any long bolts from the back of start motor itself. I figure those are the bolts that hold the front and back half of the starter motor housing together. You probably couldn't see any solenoid mounting screws from where you are laying underneath the vehicle. They would be up on top of the starter housing out of sight while mouted to the vehicle. BTW, no you can't seperate the solenoid from the starter and just drop the starter motor from the vehicle. The solenoid has to come out with the starter and then if possible, seperate the solenoid and starter from each other on a work bench.

On the starter, I just read the Haynes Manual R&R instructions for removing the starter motor and they have it as a simple thing to remove for the V-6 and V-8. Instructions are the same for either engine size.
They basically state to disconnect all the solenoid wiring (postive cable included), then remove the 2 starter mounting bolts and detach the starter from the vehicle. Installation is reverse of removal. Of course in the manual photos of the starter motor, there appears to be plenty of room to drop the starter. The manual doesn't mention anything on how to disconnect the solenoid from the starter housing. I haven't changed a starter in a vehicle in 25 years or so, but I did a few of them way back then, and the solenoids were connected to the starter motor by 2 screws on the top half of the starter. There was a raised starter housing section for the solenoid plunger end to slide into and then two solenoid mounting screws just tightened up to the starter motor housing using a flat head screwdriver and that was it for mounting a solenoid to the starter motor. I don't know for sure, but it is possible they designed the starters and solenoids differently these days. Maybe they are one whole unit and you can't seperate them like years ago since the manual doesn't show how to seperate the solenoid from the starter motor. Maybe call a parts store and ask the clerk if the solenoid can be removed from the starter motor. They should tell you.
BTW, The starter motor mounting bolt torque is 18 ft lbs and the manual doesn't mention anything on the nut size for the solenoid terminal bolts. Hope this helps you some.

yeah i ifogured that about the solednoid ...ive changed them before in older explorers...the two long botls from the back seperates the motoro from the housing... on the older ones..typlically all the motors for the fords were the same but the heads were different..ive leterally taken a tempo starting motor and put it on the head of an explorer starter and bolted it up no problems... im gonna go at it this weekend.. does the haynes manual say what size the bolts are that hold the wires to the solenoid? sucks to have to rebolt the old one to try and take those nuts off ..there is so little room with these starters...also does it say if it has to be lifted out and dropped in from the top i think it does due to lack of room underneath ...if i could get it to drop underneath im sure i would be able to get the nuts off because i would be able to see them and hold onto the starter and be on top of the nuts...but no way can i get it to drop underneath and "dangle" under thye trucks....thanks for your responses

.. does the haynes manual say what size the bolts are that hold the wires to the solenoid? sucks to have to rebolt the old one to try and take those nuts off ..there is so little room with these starters...also does it say if it has to be lifted out and dropped in from the top i think it does due to lack of room underneath ses

No, The Haynes manual doesn't mention the "nut" size for the solenoid wire posts, it just states the torque specs of the 2 starter mounting bolts which I gave you earlier. It also doesn't specify whether to remove the starter from above or below the vehicle. From the photo they show, it just looks like it drops down and out of the vehicle from below. The photo and instructions they give makes it look easy. Good luck with that this weekend!

New problem

Hi guys i have an 03 ford explorer six cyl.
today on my way back home I saw the sbs light pop on the dash then the head lights went out and noticed that my car was loosing speed on the road, without taking my foot off the gas!
so im pulling over at this time im going 5 miles an hr this car had lost its complete electric dash power and wasnt going no faster than 5 miles ph. so i get a boost locally im only few blocks away from home so i make it to the driveway my head lights shut off again 2 blocks from home again the ford slowed down and did the same thing back when i was in the highway.
i dont know what it could be i spoke to few people they said could be the battery other people said its the alternator and now i believe my car has a problem with the starter idk why but it just came to me as i was reading these posts...
i have an interview tomorrow at 2pm and i hope anyone is still up to help me by giving me some feed back... thank you and sorry if i confused you guys a bit

Hi guys i have an 03 ford explorer six cyl.
today on my way back home I saw the sbs light pop on the dash then the head lights went out and noticed that my car was loosing speed on the road, without taking my foot off the gas!
i have an interview tomorrow at 2pm and i hope anyone is still up to help me by giving me some feed back... thank you and sorry if i confused you guys a bit

Don't think you have a starter issue, but I would check the battery and alternator connections first. Make sure everything is tight and free of corrosion. Sounds like your Explorer went into "limp home mode" and you could only do 5 mph. These Explorers are real temper mental from what I have read in here on battery problems. On other vehicles I've owned over the years, if I had a battery gone bad, but had a good working alternator, the engine would keep running until I shut off the engine, then it wouldn't restart due to a dead battery. If I got a jump start from someone with my bad battery in the car, but good alternator, the engine would run off of the alternator for as long as I kept it running, just that the battery would not hold or take a charge from the alternator. Had to replace the battery then. A bad alternator will not charge a good battery as the engine runs or help run the vehicle electronics, and the vehicle will only run for as long as the battery charge holds out, then it will shut off, die. This is probably why you lost dash electronics, because everything electrical was running off of battery power only, no alternator power or energy replacement to the battery. I'm leaning towards a bad alternator but like I said earlier, Explorers are funny with battery issues. You would need to have both battery and alternator tested to see if they are still good. If you can make it to an auto parts store in the morning with your Explorer, they should be able to test both out for you 'for free" right there. For tonight, put the battery on a charger and hope it takes a charge. Good luck!

Problem fixed

I have fixed the problem of the ford explorer 2003 thank you for the feedback
Your were rite!
I took the battery to get it charged and it was good.
Took the alternator to get tested and it didnt pass the test
Got a new piece for 100 bucks but saved on the labor. I was able to to do it took me about half hr to put it back in the car. Thanx

Don't think you have a starter issue, but I would check the battery and alternator connections first. Make sure everything is tight and free of corrosion. Sounds like your Explorer went into "limp home mode" and you could only do 5 mph. These Explorers are real temper mental from what I have read in here on battery problems. On other vehicles I've owned over the years, if I had a battery gone bad, but had a good working alternator, the engine would keep running until I shut off the engine, then it wouldn't restart due to a dead battery. If I got a jump start from someone with my bad battery in the car, but good alternator, the engine would run off of the alternator for as long as I kept it running, just that the battery would not hold or take a charge from the alternator. Had to replace the battery then. A bad alternator will not charge a good battery as the engine runs or help run the vehicle electronics, and the vehicle will only run for as long as the battery charge holds out, then it will shut off, die. This is probably why you lost dash electronics, because everything electrical was running off of battery power only, no alternator power or energy replacement to the battery. I'm leaning towards a bad alternator but like I said earlier, Explorers are funny with battery issues. You would need to have both battery and alternator tested to see if they are still good. If you can make it to an auto parts store in the morning with your Explorer, they should be able to test both out for you 'for free" right there. For tonight, put the battery on a charger and hope it takes a charge. Good luck!

I have fixed the problem of the ford explorer 2003 thank you for the feedback
Your were rite!
I took the battery to get it charged and it was good.
Took the alternator to get tested and it didnt pass the test
Got a new piece for 100 bucks but saved on the labor. I was able to to do it took me about half hr to put it back in the car. Thanx

Good to know it was a "bad alternator" and you got it fixed. :thumbsup: This info and the problems/symptoms you experienced may help others in the future with the same issue as yours!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back