starter problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

starter problem

mmunsee

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer
When i go to start my 94 explorer it just makes a click noise and doesnt start, it wont start until i turn the key abunch of times, i replaced the solenoid thinking that was the problem, could it be the starter itself?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be. Will the starter crank over if you apply power directly to it? If it does, start checking your battery cables.

when i wiggle the cable where it connects to the starter it starts right up, does that cable need to be replaced?

when i wiggle the cable where it connects to the starter it starts right up, does that cable need to be replaced?

Could be that. Could be that it's slightly loose and corrosion has built up between metal parts. (clean with emery paper) Take the cable end off the starter and look at it. If the cable is weak right before the eye....you'll see it, then..yeah, replace it.

Could also be that the bolt going into the starter is loose too. It happens when someone over tightens them

Chances are it's the brushes in the starter. If it's got over 200,000 miles on it, the brushes usually start to wear out. If it starts up when you wiggle the metal wire (not the battery cable) on the starter, or if you bang lightly on the starter (with a rubber hammer, piece of wood, or your hand...do not use a metal hammer!!!) then it's likely the brushes, since the wiggling/banging moves the contacts ever so slightly, enough for another start.

You can get a replacement brush assembly for 20-30 bucks. Only certain parts stores sell them though. They are sold under the BWD (Borg-Warner) branding. The starter is fairly simple to disassemble, and you can really just pop off the end, remove the old assembly, and pop in the new without taking apart and cleaning the whole starter, though it is a good idea to clean out all the mess from the old brushes.

There is also a chance it's the OTHER solenoid. There are two, one near the battery/fuse box and the other on the starter itself.

You can replace the brushes and both solenoids for a lot less than buying a new starter ($100-200), and the OEM Motorcraft starter is pretty nice compared to the Made in China new ones.

Had a similar trouble about a month ago - replaced solenoid and positive cable -- good since then -- pretty easy job, removed oil filter for better access to remove cable from the metal piece that keeps the cable from coming in contact with a hot engine (good opportunity for oil change) -- u can do it

I just took the starter off completely, cleaned it up around the connections, i noticed the cable that goes from the battery to the starter on the starter end is kind of in bad shape. I put all connections back on and made sure everything was tightened down. Still the same, i have the hit the starter for it to start.

The solenoid attached to the starter itself does 2 things: it pushes the starter-gear into mesh with the flywheel, and THEN it turns on the current to the starter motor itself. This it does through a BIG set of contacts inside of the solenoid, which really take a big electrical "beating".

If those contacts are the cause of the many-bump requirement to get the starter to spin, you can replace the solenoid, or better yet, replace the whole starter; they come with a new solenoid already mounted on them. imp

Back