• Register Today It's free!

Starter Problem?

luvmonterey

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
About two months ago I started having an issue with starting the engine on my '94 every once in a while. I turn the key and nothing. Turn the key again and it starts. Everything primes and clicks, or seems to, but then nothing. Happens every once in a while, but I don't want to get stranded. Battery is good when I test it, but the starter is old. Battery cables seem to be ok. I replaced the starter relay on the fender wall last weekend because it was easy and less expensive than going straight for the starter. Thought I fixed it, but then it happened again this afternoon. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good. next time it's cold try jumping the large terminals on the solenoid. if the starter works the solenoid is bad, if not it's probably the starter. good news is a reman starter is under 100.00 last time i checked.

just because a part is new doesn't mean it's good. next time it's cold try jumping the large terminals on the solenoid. if the starter works the solenoid is bad, if not it's probably the starter. good news is a reman starter is under 100.00 last time i checked.
I will do a jump test. Thanks!

When you say jump the large terminals on the solenoid, do you mean on the starter itself, or the large terminals on the starter relay on the fire wall? I jumped the relay with the key off and it turned over but did not start. Removed to jump and it then started with the key. Did I do this wrong? If so, did I damage the relay? Thanks.

if you jumped the terminals for the firewall solenoid and the starter worked it would indicate the solenoid or the wiring to it needs attention. i'm betting the starter is fine and you got a bad solenoid. lots of bad parts right out of the box. it happens.

Trashtruck could be right but there is a chance that if you turn the key pump primes then you turn to start & you hear the solenoid click , then it does not turn over ,you could have a bad spot on your starter . The cheapest thing is to try another solenoid first if it still does it I would go with a starter . but you keep us informed & we will do our best to get you straightened out .

Trashtruck could be right but there is a chance that if you turn the key pump primes then you turn to start & you hear the solenoid click , then it does not turn over ,you could have a bad spot on your starter . The cheapest thing is to try another solenoid first if it still does it I would go with a starter . but you keep us informed & we will do our best to get you straightened out .
Thanks. I will remove and replace the new relay, as it sounds possible that it may be bad. If the issue happens again I will try to properly jump the solenoid, as was suggested at first, and go from there. Thanks!

Back