• Register Today It's free!

starting noise

verysweepy

Reaction score
City, State
astoria, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 xlt
Heres my problem, when I go to start the engine I get a grinding noise like you get when you try to start the engine with it already running, I did the whole search thing and what I found pointed to the starter itself, so I replaced it with a new starter and silinoid but the problem is still there, anybody have any suggetions as to what I should check next? This is on a 93 xlt, 4.0, automatic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it do it all the time or once an awhile. If it doesn't do it all the time, it could be your flywheel. I had a 1995 explorer before and the flywheel was damaged and it did that.

It just started doing it this morning when my wife went to go to school, I drove it last night and it was fine, but now it does it everytime you try to start it, when I took the old starter off you could see where the starter teeth had been grinding on the flywheel kind of like it wasnt engaging all of the way. I had it tested at napa and it would engage and spin but was a little slow to retract. From doing another search I found that it could be my battery, my battery cables or the relay switch on the fender wall, any suggetions?

I think the first starter may have damaged the flywheel, so the starter is not engaging properly and causing your noise.

Nope, upon removing the new starter for another inspection the flywheel was in a diffrent position than the first time I had the starter off and I could see that my flywheel is cracked, starting from somewhere in the middle of it and working its way outward, kind of looks like it's just peeling up to the point that when I turn over the engine the piece thats peeling up comes in contact with the engine and in turn making the grinding noise. Now my problem is deciding whether or not to change out the flywheel myself or take it to my local scamming ford dealer, I called them and they quoted me $560 for labor and $107 for a new flywheel or just go buy one and do the work myself, I've taken out trannys before but it was a c-6 out of my old ford truck. Anyone out there that can tell me whats all involved in doing this procedure, how long it takes and if it's worth doing myself or if I should just take it to ford.:fire:

Run a search for tranny removal. Pretty sure it's been discussed and there are instructions how to do it on the board.

Back