Starting probs after replacing head gaskets | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting probs after replacing head gaskets

explorer76

Reaction score
City, State
Bossier City, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
OK, so , i just spent the last 2 days working on my truck b/c i blew a head gasket. Finally got the heads off, and cleaned everything up and replaced the gaskets and after putting each piece back on the engine, i replaced all gaskets.
i replaced the head gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gasket, thermostat o-ring. I got all the electronic plugs plugged back in where they go.

Now my problem is, after everything was hooked back up and installed back correctly, when i go to start the truck, it won't turn over. What might be the problem? Can anyone help and/or give me any suggestions?

thanks in advance, adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone help? I tried to post under 911, but wasnt allowed access to post there.

doenst turn over at all? this might sound dumb, but did you reconnect the battery?

yeah, i reconnected the battery. I let my X sit over night and went to crank it this morning and its trying to turn over but wont start. Spark plugs are hooked up in the right order and everything. But now i found another problem while trying to start my X. There seems to be water dripping from the where the muffler connects to the exhaust pipe towards the rear of the X. Could this water that got into the engine when the head gasket blew and it is now trying to work its way out when i'm starting the engine? Or is this another problem? I need to get my X running soon...

BTW, i have a 1992 X, 4.0 pushrod if that helps any.

Went to Auto Zone to ask what they think the problem would be. The guy that help me had a bad attitude and was an A$$. But he said the timing is prolly off?

Could the timing be off? How would i go about getting the timing correct if thats what the problem is?

I think I would remove the spark plugs and see if it turns over then. You may have a water leak still and its hydro-locking.

well, the engine is turning over, it just won't fire or kick in....spark plugs are fine.
I'm thinking the water near the end of the exhaust is water that was in the muffler from when i blew the head gasket and its trying to work its way out....if and when the engine starts, it will blow the rest of it out of the muffler...

can anyone else help?

how about your connectors under the alternator? Those go to the fuel injectors. .... I had a incidint where those were loose and I ran on 3 cylinders :p

George

i'll have to check that out. thanks..keep ya posted.

Back