Starting Probs after electrical work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Starting Probs after electrical work

Big_DP

Reaction score
City, State
Brisbane
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Hey guys. I'm a little lost with my cars electrics at the moment. I havent a heap of knowledge on auto electrics but enough to be able to install my own equipment and diagnose simple problems.

Well I installed some LED strip lighting as puddle lights and an inverter but afterward (wasnt until that night) I went to go for a drive. Started fine but i got about 2 km (about 1.25 miles) up the road and it cut out as if the battery had gone flat. Well road side assisstance came basically couldn't figure out what went wrong but jump started the car and it started but when we romoved the leads it died. We jumped it again and it ran fine until we got home.

Now i have just installed a circuit for my worklight to run off-

Basically On-On switch, one side runs off my revers light circuit the other is run straight to the battery but wasn't tripping the circuit breaker or fuses. Started fine and drove about 8km (5miles) to my girlfriends place and it was fine. Didnt touch the car for a couple of hours and when I went to start it it was the same scenario. Nothing was left on but when i turned the key you could here the click click click but nothing else. I'm getting worried because I don't think my wiring is wrong and think it is something more complex. Please help!!

Back