• Register Today It's free!

Steering box out again

spdy0001

Reaction score
City, State
New Cumberland / PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Sport / 5 speed
A few months ago my steering stopped returning to center on its own and was very hard to steer. I replaced the steering box and this solved the problem until last night. Same problem again with the steering :mad:

Why am I destroying steering box's? My dad said its because of my wheels. I have 8" rockcrawler wheels with 3.75" backspacing. They only stick out a slight more than stock. I would think the stock steering box should handle this.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Have you checked to make sure there is no air in the system? Did you repalce the power steering pump when you replaced the steering box?

The 8" wheel with 3.75" backspace is not causing the problem.

Have you checked to make sure there is no air in the system? Did you repalce the power steering pump when you replaced the steering box?

The 8" wheel with 3.75" backspace is not causing the problem.

No I haven't checked for air in the system. It started doing the exact same thing as before so I just assumed it was the box again. I replaced the steering pump about 2 years ago. Something I forgot to add in my original post is that the replacement parts so far have been from a junk yard. It could just be my horribly bad luck that I got a steering box that was about to go out :rolleyes:

Other than this being related to the box, or the pump is there anything else that could cause the box to go out?

Thanks

Since it's a used sterring box it is quite possible it was bad.

Back