Steering Groaning? - 2011 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering Groaning? - 2011 Explorer XLT

saging_x

Reaction score
City, State
Northern MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
Hey Guys I have been gazing for a while but have not really posted anything. I have done a lot of searching but just not finding clear answers. Here is my issue. I am experiencing a groaning sound when turning my steering wheel left or right at slow speeds. This really seems to be the only symptoms. I could feel this a little in the steering wheel and steering Column. I am going to be calling the Dealer tomorrow. I have seen others who had this same issue but never saw resolution on this issue. Any help would be great.

There is a rubber boot under the dash where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Make sure its not binding on the boot and there is adequate grease on it. Move the boot back and forth to redistribute grease.

Could this be the squeeky brake issue? Repairpal.com describe the problem has a grunting noise and they say it is caused by a defective anchor bracket. I just got the squeeky brake tsb done and I still am experiencing the squeeky brakes.

Thanks, it seems to have been the rubber boot. Issue resolved.

Back