steering knuckle compatability, brake upgrade | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

steering knuckle compatability, brake upgrade

pjtoledo

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger
I want to swap out front knuckles to facilitate larger front brakes.
starting out with a 2000 4x4 Ranger, 3.0 auto.
it has the factory 11.25" front rotors, I want more front brakes (it's the wifes DD, it NEEDS more front brakes) like the 12" front rotors the 03+ models have.
The question is: will front knuckles from an 09 4x4 be a direct bolt on to a 2000 4x4? ABS? upper and lower ball joints? tie rod arm length and hole? CV splines the same?
supposedly the knuckles differ only in the holes for mounting the caliper bracket, they are moved out 3/8" to allow the use of the same caliper bracket on the larger 12" rotor.

other items on the wish list are 12" rotors on my 05 Ranger. anybody have ideas on how to move the caliper/bracket out 3/8"?
that truck has 11.25" rotors and coil springs up front. 12" rotor/hub assy from a 2wd Sport Trac will fit, but not under the 11.25" calipers/brackets

an even crazier idea is 98 Crown Vic rotors up front on the 2000. they are about the same thickness and height, and a massive 12.5" diameter. would require a small hub-centric ring though, as well as taller brackets/calipers.

Mustang Cobra stuff? oops, that would mean 13" rotors and 17" wheels. Gonna stick with my 16" wheels unless I win the lottery.

as you may have summized: I'm a Brake-A-Halt-It.

searching didn't pull much up, thus the questions.

thanks

Perry

back to the top, slow week eh?

Back