steering shimmy

unabonked

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98Sport, 94XLT, 96Sport
I was at the local tire place today to measure clearence for the new mudders. i turned the truck off and put the truck in neutral. i turned the steering wheel without power (which only works when the engine is running). we got the clearences and off i went.

Now every time i turn while accelerating or driving faster then 30 mph over uneven pavment, the steering colom and front wheels shimmy.

At first i thought this was the 4x4 engauging, but the timing and feel of the shimmy is not the same as the usial 4x4 binding (its faster and feels kind of like a wheel wobbling). Did i mess up the steering pump? is this a costly repair?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sometimes the pump pukes out some fluid... check the level......

That's right, when you manually turn the front wheels side to side (with the engine off) the steering pump "pukes" the fluid over the cap (there's a little hole in it) and sometimes is a lot of luid that spills in the engine compartment.

Check for spills and refill.

Nice rides¡

Andy. ;)

steering fluid level is normal, but the shimmy isn't as bad as it was before. any other ideas?

Air in the system. It will work it's way out after a couple days.

yeah, it now sounds like you had a bit of air in the system... like it puked out a little bit and swallowed air too.... do you check it when it is hot or cold? the level changes at different temps....

i checked both, bother were normal in their respective heats (hey its 6 AM, i'm not awake yet).

Back