Steering wheel and paint questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel and paint questions

Fordvirgin

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'12 Ford Explorer Limited
I have a 2012 LTD and 2 questions.
With it being summer it seems I haven't driven it in the dark lately. Are the the buttons in the steering wheel for volume control, cruise control etc. supposed to light up at night? For the life of me I can't remember and it's really bugging me.

The paint is peeling off around the sensor on the front driver side panel. It looks like a white plastic insert around the sensor that was painted so it possibly can be popped out and replaced? Is that something covered by warranty?

Yes, the steering wheel controls light up. Also, for the sensor, if you talk to the dealer, they might work something with you. However, i think it would be called a wear.

With it being summer it seems I haven't driven it in the dark lately. Are the the buttons in the steering wheel for volume control, cruise control etc. supposed to light up at night? For the life of me I can't remember and it's really bugging me.

The paint is peeling off around the sensor on the front driver side panel. It looks like a white plastic insert around the sensor that was painted so it possibly can be popped out and replaced? Is that something covered by warranty?
As 1995E said, the steering wheel controls do light up. I guess you don't park in a garage.:)
The sensor you are referring to is part of the Active Park Assist. If you want it replaced, they will have to order a new sensor and then have it painted to match the vehicle which I'm assuming is the tri-coat platinum like mine. I had the front right sensor replaced under warranty when it caused an error message the first time I tried the self parking function. It had to be painted by the body shop. They probably could just remove and repaint the existing sensor or if they don't consider it a warranty item, you could try using the touch up paint.

Peter

Hi Fordvirgin,

Concerning the buttons on the steering wheel: they should be illuminated when the headlights are on.

Have you talked to your dealership about the paint peeling off your Explorer? I encourage you to make an appointment with them and get a diagnosis. Once that is done, I'll be able to evaluate the next steps. :)

Bianca

Back