Steering wheel off centered? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel off centered?

Yes, the way they have your camber set is going to wear the inside of the tires more. They should have tried to get them both closer to zero (unless they couldn't for some reason). All that needs to be done to correct your steering wheel is to make the driver side tie rod longer and the passenger side shorter in equal amounts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They should of been able to adjust the the right side as well. When I installed the new pass. side ubj I made sure the replacement was not just one piece so I could leave the original adjustment shackle in. Anyways, I think I will take it back to shop, but it's nice to have a grasp on these readings so when talking with them I know what's going on, instead of them possibly trying to BS me.

That adjustable piece on the pass side is for cross caster split settings, not camber. You only have so much adjustment with the caster/camber cams. The pass. may be maxed out as positive as it will go so they moved the driver side more negative to get the cross camber in spec.

Ahhh. Thanks for the clarification. So it sounds like there's not much they could do then?

I couldn't tell you unless I checked it out. I would at least take it back and tell them to center the wheel. Then you can ask them why they didn't make the camber closer to zero to see what they say.

Well I took my rig back to shop that did my alignment, and they centered up my wheel, and adjusted the camber. They did admit that it was off centered and it was pulling to the right. Anyways, asked the tech, who did my realignment, if he noticed any lack of assist in the steering and he said he noticed that there was a lack of return in the wheel. He mentioned he could adjust the camber/caster more to compensate. So I had to do a fairly extensive road trip today, about 400 mi., and noticed the lack of return as well. It's as if the steering wheel sticks. So I'll go into a turn, and when I straighten out the vehicle it will travel back straight, but the wheel will still stay at an angle. So eventually depending on which way and how many turns it eventually straightens out. I have noticed the wheel, when straight, is definitely more cented and it does not wander. Any thoughts?

Lower,upper rod, or either? Any tell-tale signs without taking apart linkage?

I've checked out this thread before, but will check the intermediate shaft for looseness. I'm still scratching my head because this was never an issue until I installed the new rack. Thanks for the quick link though.

Did you use the new rack bushings?

Check the bushings by lifting the rig and getting one wheel off the ground. Have someone push the lifted tire one direction or the other, while you watch the bushings. If the rack itself raises at all, the bushings are either shot, or the bolts need tightened down more. Slop at this area will give side to side play in the wheel.

The rack is tight, and I installed it w/the new bushings.

While making sure the rack was not loose, I noticed that the top and bottom left side flare nuts on the rack look like they have started to back themselves out, especially the top nut, the one going back into the rack. Wondering if this could be the culprit??? If so, I guess I'm loosening the rack and taking off the coolant pump to get to these bad boys!

Was able to get a good look at the rack today, and I discovered that the flare nuts that appeared to be loose were not. They were backed out a few threads, but after getting a good look at them I remember them being like that when I took the rack out of the box. So while I was under there I was able to tighten the lower steering shaft pinch bolt a little bit more, and after rechecking the bushing bolts on the rack I realized they were loose! So I tightened them up and took a spin. The play in the steering was gone, but it looks like I need a realignment. The steering wheel is now off to the right and pulls left.

Me too. However, need another alignment, but least I got the problem resolved!

Thank you for all your insight and recommendations.

Back