• Register Today It's free!

Step bars

Sport 4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Gaston, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport 4x4
I want to remove the step bars from my '99 Sport. However, they are held on by those damn thread clips. They are pretty rusty and just spin on the bolt when I try to take the bolt out. Any ideas on removing the bolts? Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spray it with tons of break free or wd-40, let it soak up a lil, then clamp on some visegrips to the clip and let it push up against the frame or something then pop the bolt lose, should work i've done it with other things like that.

If you decide to sell them can you let me know, I might be interested. Thanks.

There's not a lot of room to work but I'll try...if I get them off they're yours. They're scratched up and one is starting to rust...

I didn't realise they were scratched up and stuff. I might still be interested, if they're not too bad. Can I get some pics of them? That is if you can get them off. :rolleyes: Is there enough room to get a grinder in there to cut the bolts off, or maybe a dremel.

I'll try to get some pics as soon as I get the time to figure my new cam out. But their yours if you pay shipping, they are worth that even if you have them painted.

u get them off?

Not yet...will post as soon as I do...

Sport 4x4 said:
I'll try to get some pics as soon as I get the time to figure my new cam out. But their yours if you pay shipping, they are worth that even if you have them painted.

That's awesome, thanks. :bounce: Let me know when you get them off. Don't worry about rushing for me, I can wait. :)

The bars are off...had to take them to a muffler shop to get them taken off. Couldn't take them off myself. Anyway, those things are heavier than they look. If you can find out the shipping from 27832 to your location, they are yours...

Glad to hear you got them off. Do you have an estimated weight so I can find out the shipping. Thanks again.

Not having a way to weigh them, I'd guess in the 50-60 lb area...

Back