Stiff steering and poor steering wheel returnability | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stiff steering and poor steering wheel returnability

TimB

Reaction score
City, State
walpole, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited V8
Long time lurker and I have used alot of great info from this forum. This forum is the best.

Well I have a 2003 Explorer V8 with 126,000 miles. Recently I have been having diffculty with my steering. The steering is stiff and the returnability is poor. I have check the fluid, the level was fine. It smelled a little burnt, so I have tried replacing the fluid, by sucking it of the reservoir, filling it up, driving it for a while, then repeating. I have does this with two quarts of Mercon V. I do not have any fluid leaking. I changed the tie rod ends, because they looked bad.

I will say it is a little better, but still not right. I have read every post associated with the steering and I think it is the steering gear, but I'am not sure. Does this sound right, and if so does anyone have info on how to replace the steering gear.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 limited v8 and had to replace my steering rack due to a seep out of one end. Not a real big job but too most of the day laying on my back. Then the reman replacement had a seep in another place, so I had to do it over again. My suggestion to you would be to first make sure that each wheel moved easily with the tie rods disconnected just to make sure a ball joint or joint on half shaft isn't the problem. Had that returnability problem with my old '94 and a u joint on driveshaft fixed it. Hope this helps. Good luck.

thanks for the tips, I will check into the free movement of the wheels.

Let us know how you made out...good or bad

Will do. with the storm I haven't had chance to work on it yet.

Fluid change was the trick.

Sorry I never reported back. I was able to fix this problem, by just changing the fluid. I'm still surprised that it fixed it. I just sucked out all the fluid from the reservior, then refilled. go for a drive come back and repeat. I did this for about two qts of Fluid over a couple of weeks.

Back