still transfer case or transmission? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

still transfer case or transmission?

michelle111

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford explorer
I have been reading threads from this forum for days trying to figure out what is wrong I'm really stressed with no car and needing to go school shopping for my kids who start school on tue! anyway here is my problem in detail:

My Transfer Case On My 98 Ford Explorer Went ,I Heard A Very Loud Noise And Drove It Home. When I Drove It Home It Worked Fine Other Then The Noise. I was told to Put It In 4wd High And Low To See If The Noise Was Still There Before hubby Got Home But When I Put It Into 4wd Low I Did Not Know It Had To Be In Neutral Or Park And It Popped.When My Husband Took It Out It Won't Go Above 40km. I Know The Transfer Case Needs To Be Replaced But What Is Causing It Not To Shift To Get Above 40? Is This Still A Transfer Case Problem Or The Transmission?

The transfer case is stuck in LO range. Try disconnecting the battery for a few mins and reconnect to try to force the shift motor to reset. If that doesn't work, search the forum as a stuck 4LO tcase has been discussed a few tiimes.

Back