• Register Today It's free!

Stock off-road?

PJC

Reaction score
City, State
Central Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have a totally stock '92 X. Without any modification at all, just how good an off road vehicle is this? Obviously, I am not going to be driving over any 10 foot boulders or anything, but how much can I expect from it off-road? Should I just limit my 4-wheeling to snow during the winter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's pretty good actually, with skill they can do quite abit. A locker will help greatly though :)

You can do much more than just snow in the winter haha

Ah yes, ive had great succsess in snow with my stock ex, and that was with crummy almost bald Goodyear RT/S's, i rememeber one storm we got close to 2.5 feet of powder and the truck ate right through it in 4wd, with no trouble, even uphill in my unplowed driveway, when i opened my door i had to push the snow out of the way to open it. Good Stuff.

My 91 sport is stock except for some AT tires, and let me tell you that this thing is great for banging around the local wooded trails. I do want to start doing some more advanced off roading and right now the only real problem is ground clearance.

Oh yes and as others have said this is the best snow vehicle I have ever been in. No matter what I drove it through last year I couldn't get it stuck

My offroad experience in this truck is limited to muddy farm fields, but in snow it will take pretty much whatever you can find. Closest to stuck ive ever been was when i was sliding sideways on a 1" thick sheet of ice, and even then I just slid far enough sideways to get to a spot where I could get some traction.

the stock 91-94 explroer was pretty capable

jimabena74 said:

WAS!....Still is!

jimabena74 said:
Good to know....now who wants to go to truck haven:D :exporange

The limitations of a stock X is ground clearance, axle ratio and lack of traction devices. If you have a 3.73 axle ratio and a functioning rear traction lock differential your X will be fairly capable in off road conditions.

I have the D4 axle, which I think is the 3.73 LS. I am unsure how functional it is, as I get the impression that they wear out over time (?). I don't know how to test it other than trying to "lay some scratch" as we used to call it, and see if I have one skid mark or two. With all I have been hearing about the puny transmission, I am kind of unwilling to crank it up like that and then dumping it.

Judging from the responses, I should be able to take it up some mountain trails and passes (already established trails) that are designated 4-wheel only roads?

My 92 has the 3.73 LS, 213,000 miles on it and still works fine. It will slip if you're sideways with most weight on one side, but it always spins both rears going straight. As far as checking them, you can jack up the rear end and turn one tire (with it in neutral). If the opposite tire turns the same way, you're probably ok. If it turns the other way, its either open or the clutches are completely shot.

MY X is fairly capable. I also too just have bigget A/T tires. Ive gotten stuck a few times, but it was just in mud. It funny when my firends get passed in their jeeps by me with the A/c on w/ windows up and riding in comfortable leather seats, while they ride in their racing buckets, benches.

PJC,

You may want to change the fluid in the rear differential and make sure there is the friction modifer addative in with the rear end grease. It is required for proper function of the D-4 axle. Before I modified my X I wheeled it and found it to be quire capable for a stock vehicle.

PJC said:
Judging from the responses, I should be able to take it up some mountain trails and passes (already established trails) that are designated 4-wheel only roads?

Depends on the trail; some of the logging trails in the hills around here are harder than others. Some are rutted and need big ground clearance. Others are easy and could be made in a Neon. I would want to know about the trail before I did it, or at least have another vehicle with me. Plus if you do it in the winter in Colorado you'll probably have snow on the trail, and you won't be able to see big ruts and obstacles...

My 91 rocks, Arizona trails can be rough with moderate rock crawling. I ran a 4.0 (out of 5) and broke a radius arm trying to get up a 3 foot waterfall but I hit it WAY to fast. I found my X to be more trail worthy than my 90 YJ Wrangler after running several of the same trails. The auto hubs are a little weak though. You won't be dissapointed.

Back