• Register Today It's free!

Stock Speaker/Radio Replacement

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
I went looking at a new stereo and speakers for my 91. I'm not looking for the best/most expensive set, just something to replace my stock ones.

Are the front speakers 5 1/4?
Are the rear speakers 6X8?
What is the wattage of rear and front speakers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Triton46
I went looking at a new stereo and speakers for my 91. I'm not looking for the best/most expensive set, just something to replace my stock ones.

Are the front speakers 5 1/4?
Are the rear speakers 6X8?
What is the wattage of rear and front speakers?

Both the front and rear speakers are 6 x 8.

if you have the premium stereo setup without the subwoofer, the stock amp puts out 20w X 4. if you have a sub, it put's out 15w X 4 (and 80 watts to the sub). if you dont have a factory amp, i think it is a lot less. maybe 5w X 4.

correction: it isn't 5 watts X 4, it is 6 watts X 4.
:)

I've seen some 120watt speakers in Best Buy (seems to be the lowest I found). Does it matter what I buy, in terms of watts?

I am also replacing the HU. What determines how much wattage gets put out, the HU or the Amp? So, if I buy 4 120 watt speakers. Do I need a stereo that puts out 120 or less? Or do I need a higher amp?

I don't have think I have the premium stereo and I do have the stock amp (no rear sub).

Originally posted by Triton46
I've seen some 120watt speakers in Best Buy (seems to be the lowest I found). Does it matter what I buy, in terms of watts?

I am also replacing the HU. What determines how much wattage gets put out, the HU or the Amp? So, if I buy 4 120 watt speakers. Do I need a stereo that puts out 120 or less? Or do I need a higher amp?

I don't have think I have the premium stereo and I do have the stock amp (no rear sub).

If you have the cassette deck, look to see if it says DNR on the tape deck door. If it does, you have premium sound. That might be only for 93-94 X's though. Easiest way to find out is take your passenger side panel off in the cargo area. If you see a little gray box that looks like an amp, then you have premium sound. If you do, BYPASS IT. Call up crutchfield and they will give you everything to bypass it and a wire harness for your new deck for $13. They know what they are talking about with Explorers. As for your quesiton about what determines the power, it's the amp. Headunit's have small internal amps that most push out 22 watts RMS, with a few alpines and Panasonics push out 26-27 RMS.
As for your speaker question, the 120 watts is the maximum rating. It's not important at all. The RMS rating is what's important. Get some polk DX7's. Pioneer 6855 and 6865 are good choices too. They will sound great off the headunit. Both these speakers are under $100. The 6855 can be had for $60, cheaper on ebay. DX7's are a top of the line speaker that are onsale on the net for $83. mmxpress.com (sp?) I think.

Back