• Register Today It's free!

stopped running, engine died

A91EBexplorer4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 EB Explorer 4x4
Man im getting tired of this replacing parts and stuff, seems im at a time for all of it to go bad.

Well this is the deal i was going through a mud whole that had some ice chunks in it i was going on the edge where it is that deep, id say about even with the rockers under the door. anyway i was pretty much idling through it in 4low when i was just about through it the truck just quit running. so of course all i thought was that i stalled itsince i was just put put along through it. here is some info to help knock some of the problems.
Good battery, clean cables( replaced not to long ago)
has fuel, fuel filter should be good since ive changed that not to long ago as well. i checked the schrader valve at the fuel rail and i got good pressure so fuel pump is good. i pulled a plud wire and im getting good spark. oh and i looked at the breather box to see if naybe water went into there but none was found engine compartment was dry coil pack is dry. fuel inertia switch did not kick in.
lets see what else....

my thought was that since i have a body lift the fan blades hang a bit lower now and accept more water to hit it causing it to stop or slow down. could it jump time with a clutch fan? since there is no distributor how is the timing adjusted?
well thats kinda where i am at, i'd appreciate any help on it
Thanks Howard

[Edited by A91EBexplorer4x4 on 12-27-2000 at 08:46 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will tell my experience crossing deep water. The ECM relay and fuel pump relay got soaked with water. It didn't quit on me though, it just stuck so that the fuel pump would always be running even with the engine off. Check the relays that are located under the engine compartment fuse box to the left of the engine. There are three relays, fuel pump relay, ECM relay, and AC wot relay. Can you actually hear the fuel pump turning on. Also if you have a sthetescope see if you can hear the injectors clicking while you crank the engine. You sure you have a lot of pressure when you press on the schrader valve. It has 35 psi so it should really shoot out. One quick way to check if the fuel pump and ecm relay are good is to disconnect the fuel inertia valve connector and check for voltage with a volt meter. Check any of the wires and a least one of them should have voltage while you crank the engine or for 3 second after you turn the ignition to on. If you got voltage present on one of the wires then it basically rules out the relays.

ok thanks

ok thanks, i'll give that a try and see whats going on, yeah there is a good bit of pressure coming out of the valve it sprayed all over the place when i tried it. i don't belive i've ever really heard my fuel pump going or not but ill try to listen and see what i find out. thanks for the info i just hope i dont have to mes with the timming chain stuff. looks like it would be a big hassle.

Thanks Howard

crankshaft sensor

If your getting spark, and fuel, could be timing as you suspect. The timing is controlled with the EDIS module- front pass side near the headlight. It gets its info from the crank sensor at the front of the engine. The crank sensor ( I think they cakll it a VRS- variable reluctant sensor) is at 11 o-clock on the damper, might want to check and make sure all of the teeth are on the crank whell also. I would check that area out- maybe the ice damaged the sensor, the wheel or the connector.

Did you run a quick test and pull any codes?

code scanner

no i dont have ascanner to check for any codes but ill give that a look and ill see what is going on. no luck so far though, i appreciate the tips.

For the 91 you dont need a scanner. The procedure is outlined on this site and in the Haynes manual. Once you jumper the EEC, turn the key and count the number of times CHECK ENGINE blinks. It will flash the number twice then go into continuous memory and give you more codes. The codes are easy to find on the net and are also in the Haynes manual.

This is the best way to pinpoint problems. Let me know if you need any help.

ok

ok i really think it is the timing now. i tried to start it the other day and it acted like it wanted to but it backfired and then i tried again and it backfired in the breather that time but it did it a few more times out the rear. id really hate to pull all that stuff off to get to the timing cover and then find out its ok. any more tips?

Back