• Register Today It's free!

strange noise at idle

justin's_94

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Bronco XLT
I have a quick question. I have a 94 XLT with the 4.0 and when the truck is at idle, it makes this strange noise. It almost sounds like a large computer loading up. It is sort of an electronic sound. I have noticed it for a while and just wanted to know what the hell it is. It is very annoying when trying to cruise on Friday nights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on, I know somebody out there has some advice.

Here's my experience. Last month I did a FULL tuneup emissions replace stuff on mine. After replaceing the IAC on the Ranger, by necessity, I decided to take off and clean the IAC on the Ex....BIG MISTAKE !!! I don't know what it did, but when I put it back on it sounded like 'a 400Hp ShopVac on wheels' . I got a new IAC and it fixed it. The truck ran fine during all this, but annoying as Hell. It is not a cheap fix..the IAC was a Dealer only part here = $115.
My .02

is it like a whiring sound that gets faster as you speed up? ive got a 94xlt too it makes a whiring sound when you accelerate from a stop. Its a weird sound that i really cant put into words but it sounds kinda like this whir.......whir.......whir....whir...whir..whir..whir.whir LOL! anyway somethin like that i think its the transmission. any 1 got a clue?

The first gear in the ford trannys is knows for a while as it speeds up. If it is an air rushing sound at idle check your air intake including the filter housing, the throttle body, and the IAC sensor. If any are dirty or malfunctioning replace or clean the part. Good luck!

Back