Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffer

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 4x4
Could use some help figureing out what went wrong. My problem is the vehicle is stuck in 4WD. First I have a 97 XLT 4.0 V6 4x4 with 127000 miles on it. At a 126K I brought it in to the local goodyear to have the 120k service done. They replaced the fluids in the Transfer case, rear differential and Transmission plus other maintenance. They do have a history of putting wrong fluids in as they did on the 90K service they replced the rear with 90 weight gear oil instead of synthetic plus additive. Replaced with correct fluid and it was fine. Also I was towed at one point and this problem showed up immediatly after. So my questions are 1) If the inccorect fluid was put in the transferr case could this cause the the problem? 2) When towed could some damage occure that would cause it to lock into 4WD? By the way I am abel see the lights on the 4WD switch go from off to 4 HI to 4 Low. When in neutral I hear a click going from 4 Hi to 4 LOW when actuatting the switch but no clunk. Also the turning radius is severly reduced as is normal when in 4WD, but it does seem to be more then usual.

THX
Looking forward to your replies

Biff

try disconecting the battery. I had the same problem my explorer was stuck in 4low and as soon as i disconnected the battery and switched it to awd it disengaged out of 4low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back