Stuck on a Caribbean island (not paradise island) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck on a Caribbean island (not paradise island)

My Explorer is back from the dead!!

Final? update: The engine runs! I installed a $135 (yikes!) Airtex pump after using a $28 (yikes!!) crappy tool made of two pieces of badly stamped metal to get the fuel hoses off.

I tried a neat trick I saw on you-tube of using the cut off end of a Sharpie marking pen cover to release the fuel lines. Didn't work for me but may do for someone else. So, for ONLY $163 (Gulp!), my old beater car is running again.

I now know the pump had been weak for a while (poor general performance) and, probably, when I ran out of gas (gauge doesn't work) a few weeks back the pump overheated and just took a little more time to commit suicide. What a crappy design.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and support. Especially Roadrunner777. To those who suggested a fuel pump problem early on: sorry I was so reluctant to come to that conclusion. I've been pretty sick the last two weeks with some kind of tropical crud and could only work on the car in short spurts. Remember, this is not paradise island.

Now, if I could just find someone to help me finish my boat just for the experience:smoke:. Maybe I should try stand up comedy?

Back