Stuck? Right Rear Caliper | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck? Right Rear Caliper

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
I noticed when hand washing my rims that my right rear outer brake pad is about 2mm from the metal backing plate. All other pads on the vehicle are at about 50%. This leads me to believe the slider pins are stuck and not the piston because if it were the piston both pads on the caliper would have abnormal wear and it's just the outside one that is worn down.

Is there any way to find out if I have metal or phenolic pistons in my rear calipers without taking it all apart to look inside at the piston?

I'm hoping I can repair and grease the sliders and reuse the caliper.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I installed new rear pads today, the pistons are definitely the plastic ones, the side I've been having problems with some if it is melted away!

Sliders were fine on both sides.

That is the exact reason that I decided to re-use my original rear calipers when I did the brake job last fall. I was not even aware that they were now using calipers with plastic pistons until I was offered a separate price on either plastic or steel at the local auto parts store. The calipers with the plastic pistons were considerably cheaper but I just decided to clean up the originals that had the steel pistons. One of mine had a small corner cracked off of the face which I removed so as not to have it damage the rubber seal.
The cynical side of me tells me that they are doing this to give the dealers more work and not to remove weight from the vehicle.

02+ has the phenolic pistons in the rear as earlier models have steel. I've had 2 right rear calipers stick on me personally and they are the only ones I have replaced on both vehicles. My wife's 04 Explorer and my ranger running the 02+ calipers. I'd definitely swap out that caliper.

That is the exact reason that I decided to re-use my original rear calipers when I did the brake job last fall. I was not even aware that they were now using calipers with plastic pistons until I was offered a separate price on either plastic or steel at the local auto parts store. The calipers with the plastic pistons were considerably cheaper but I just decided to clean up the originals that had the steel pistons. One of mine had a small corner cracked off of the face which I removed so as not to have it damage the rubber seal.
The cynical side of me tells me that they are doing this to give the dealers more work and not to remove weight from the vehicle.

I read they did it to lower heat transfer to the brake fluid, but why not just use DOT 4 fluid...?

02+ has the phenolic pistons in the rear as earlier models have steel. I've had 2 right rear calipers stick on me personally and they are the only ones I have replaced on both vehicles. My wife's 04 Explorer and my ranger running the 02+ calipers. I'd definitely swap out that caliper.

Well to swap out the single I'd have to go with another plastic one, otherwise I need to buy two metal ones and change both sides...

There is a different bore diameter between the two so your stuck with the 02+ style

The pad fit and size. The 02+ pad is the one to use and stick with. I have the 02 calipers on my truck to use the 02 pads as an "upgrade" but at the same time I've swapped to the crappy phenolic pistons. They are ok as long as you compress them evenly with service. If you pry the wrong way they will crack all to hell.

Back