Stumbling and Electrical Problems

Reynolds2x

Reaction score
City, State
Sandusky, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Edie Bauer, 80,000 miles or so. Recently the check engine light came on. I have noticed that when I have almost come to a complete stop, the engine almost dies and the surges back up to idle. Sometimes this happens twice on the same stop. Also, the exhaust smells unusually toxic and my gas milage has dropped about 3 miles per gallon.

On a side note, the keyless entry has not been working recently, nor have the lock / unlock buttons on the door, and the radio does not shut off when the door is opened.

Any ideas on what might be causing these issues?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yoe need to get the codes to help with diagnosis or you are just guessing.

If you go to one of the local chain auto stores, they can read the codes for the check engine light and clear the code for free. Get the print out or numbers of the codes (should be PXXX) where the X are numbers. Bring that back here and the board members should give you some pointers.

There are 100's of codes that can set the Check Engine light so hard to say what the problem is without the code.

Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter, but there could be a number of things causing what I'm guessing is a rich condition.

It also sounds like two seperate issues.

Back