• Register Today It's free!

Stupid rust

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
So my 01 X has the rust just beginning on the body seem under the rear passenger doors. Not too bad yet. My truck has the XLT package and has the plastic rockers that cover most of the metal in the rockers. I rolled under the truck the other day and looked at this area from the backside and there is still a decent amount of good metal there. I just want to save what is left and keep this rust prone area from rotting completely out or any more. I know how to remove the plastic if necessary but my question is what is the best plan of attack to slow down/inhibit any more rust from forming there.What should be my plan and what products should I use to inhibit any more rust? :(

Scrape a layer or two of rust off and then get a flapwheel or even a wirebrush under there and take it down to the metal, hopefully you have enough metal to save to where it counts.

Before you do any of that you should remove the plastic and make sure it didn't rust all the way through...

Anyways, for attacking the back side assuming it didn't go all the way through, I would do a coat of some sort of rust changer, some companies have a spray and if you spray it on rust it will turn it into a paint-like-substance, and then probably like 30,000 coats of undercoating...

But if I were you, I wouldn't listen to me and would wait for someone else to chime in. :thumbsup:

Okay. Any ideas on what specific products are good for slowing the rust down?

POR 15 is great stuff. Just make sure you top coat it if it will be exposed to the sun.

Back