Styling and Undercoating Body Needed Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Styling and Undercoating Body Needed Question

Now so I'm goin to do the cheap 1st Gen Coil and Shackle lift thing my self, but I was wondering while I was down there why don't I sandblast and undercoat the Underbody. Then I thought about the style ppoint of view. If I was to udercoat my Ex how bout I spray a metallic silver or gold on my leaf springs and coils? Would that look cool or not? And then a chrome Differential cover. Also forthose who may think it would look cool, what type of spray paints do I need to look for? And what else to aim at spraying while I'm down there? My Ex will have a total of 5"-6" on the lift system (body lift alreay on it) and 32" mickey thompsons---so it will be noticable. Opinions and answers anyone?

Here is a link to my page on cardomain to see pics of my 1992 Explorer Sport as of now:

http://www.cardomain.com/member_pag...model=Explorer Sport&tree=Ford Explorer Sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dont think sandblasting under truck is a good idea. someone correct me if im wrong but i think it would get in your seals and bearings etc.

It will all end up being a waste the first time you hit some good mud. It will not come out without some major scrubbing and it will still stain the underside, just leave it dirty or spray the undercoating everywhere and you will be fine.

Leaving it dirty isn't th thing,The whole underbody is orange, and don't have the funds for all new equipment. If you look up my cardomain link I have in the first post, check out the first picture. Then you will see all of that orange rustI'm talking about. And to say most of it will be undercoated just that I wanna put sme metallic trimming in sme areas, like the leafandcoil springs.

I would just get a drill with one of those wire brushes or a sander and go at it and get it down to the bare metal and paint it with the undercoating. It is gonna take FOREVER though so be forewarned.

So basically everybody is trying to no to sandblasting?

I wouldnt, but if you think you can do it and not mess up other things then go for it

Back