Sub 13 Second Daily Driver Build

Jtrain

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

I'm about 500 miles into my purchase of a 2014 Explorer Sport. Jumped ship from an aging 2007 Jeep SRT8 and I'm very happy with the additional space, upgraded technology, comfort and of course-- the many joys of a turbo charged vehicle.

My Jeep did a 13.4 full interior
I'd really like this Explorer to hit 12.99 full interior and still be daily driver (No meth and easy on the timing).

I have another car that is a huge project, so I'm trying to be concise with this build.

So far I've installed:

Lund Racing Tune
K&N Drop in
VTA BOV mod :)

I'm looking at:
Catted downpipes from Livernois with there Corsa exhaust
K&N Or AirRaid Intake

I'm not completely convinced that an intake will really make the big of a difference over a drop in-- I'm open to suggestions. And I've never even heard of a dry filter, what's the advantages or disadvantages to that?

I'm not a fan of having cats on a turbo charged car, but I think it might be worth sacrificing a few horsepower for a quieter daily driver.

Any thoughts, suggestions, insight, warnings or direction would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Jtrain

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't really see there being much if any gains from the intakes and catbacks. I'd say if you want to be into the 12's the quickest and easiest way would be with a custom tune to run meth and more boost (you'd need it tuned for a 3 bar as well).

Seeing how you don't want to run meth fueling seems to be an issue and hurdle getting us into the 12's, not really sure if there are any other really good options right now because re-coring or upgrading turbos brings lots of fuel system upgrades.

So it seems.

Information and 'gurus' seem to be severely lacking in a platform that is amazingly promising. I guess this is in an awkward place with Ford guys worrying about it sounding like it's missing 2 pistons and us (me) Tuner guys worrying about it saying Ford.

Livernois ran a 12.8 -- I now find out that it was on Meth, forgot to put that in the youtube video, but that's okay. I've put aside my dream of a 12.8 car

At least that's what I've picked up by diving into forums for about 30 or 40 hours the past week or so. At some point I saw a PSA about carbon build up? Seriously? Hit the freaking gas!!

It seems the limits of "tuning" through the OBD2 is as big of a joke as it sounds. Seems like a few companies have it somewhat figured it out but you're really at the mercy of OEM ECU Resolution and capabilities. Here I was all excited about the car being MAP instead of MAF, all for naught. My kingdom for a Piggyback ECU

Well, As it's my daily- I'll drop the cash on the intake, exhaust, downpipes and it appears I've already picked my poison with the ominous OBDII tuner *eyeroll* and hope for the best-- no reason to go crazy on another car.

So far this entire experience keeps me saying
:thumbdwn:"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king":thumbdwn:

I don't really see there being much if any gains from the intakes and catbacks. I'd say if you want to be into the 12's the quickest and easiest way would be with a custom tune to run meth and more boost (you'd need it tuned for a 3 bar as well).

Seeing how you don't want to run meth fueling seems to be an issue and hurdle getting us into the 12's, not really sure if there are any other really good options right now because re-coring or upgrading turbos brings lots of fuel system upgrades.

I see you have a Lund racing "SS" tune? I'm about 20 emails deep with Lund trying to crack the code on my tune-- Is this something above and beyond what they normally send people?

So it seems.

Information and 'gurus' seem to be severely lacking in a platform that is amazingly promising. I guess this is in an awkward place with Ford guys worrying about it sounding like it's missing 2 pistons and us (me) Tuner guys worrying about it saying Ford.

Livernois ran a 12.8 -- I now find out that it was on Meth, forgot to put that in the youtube video, but that's okay. I've put aside my dream of a 12.8 car

At least that's what I've picked up by diving into forums for about 30 or 40 hours the past week or so. At some point I saw a PSA about carbon build up? Seriously? Hit the freaking gas!!

It seems the limits of "tuning" through the OBD2 is as big of a joke as it sounds. Seems like a few companies have it somewhat figured it out but you're really at the mercy of OEM ECU Resolution and capabilities. Here I was all excited about the car being MAP instead of MAF, all for naught. My kingdom for a Piggyback ECU

Well, As it's my daily- I'll drop the cash on the intake, exhaust, downpipes and it appears I've already picked my poison with the ominous OBDII tuner *eyeroll* and hope for the best-- no reason to go crazy on another car.

So far this entire experience keeps me saying
:thumbdwn:"In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king":thumbdwn:
Jtrain, doesn't this remind you of the early days on the red site? :)
Took a while but they figured it out. I remember back then when getting into the 12s with the jeeps was a struggle and now they are running 8s. Hope the same happens with this promising platform in the not so distant future.
As far as the Sport we got, I think I'll be doing a tune to wake it up a little and leave everything stock. Is plenty fast for the wife and I enjoy driving it and how nice and quiet it is.
For how long did you had your SRT?
I still have my '08, now with a HHP 426 and enjoying it still. Love this truck, don't ever want to sell it.
Good luck with your Sport, this are definitely nice trucks.
Ohh yeah, I only have 150 miles on it, we just got it a week ago lol.

Jtrain, doesn't this remind you of the early days on the red site? :)
Took a while but they figured it out. I remember back then when getting into the 12s with the jeeps was a struggle and now they are running 8s. Hope the same happens with this promising platform in the not so distant future.
As far as the Sport we got, I think I'll be doing a tune to wake it up a little and leave everything stock. Is plenty fast for the wife and I enjoy driving it and how nice and quiet it is.
For how long did you had your SRT?
I still have my '08, now with a HHP 426 and enjoying it still. Love this truck, don't ever want to sell it.
Good luck with your Sport, this are definitely nice trucks.
Ohh yeah, I only have 150 miles on it, we just got it a week ago lol.

Mid 11s! nice. True enough, the Jeep site was a little rough to boot-- but they had the advantage of other cars using the motor with pretty high demand. I had my jeep from 2008 till last month, it was my daily and I just intake / Exhausted it.

Was just expecting a little more nearly 3 years into this platform.

That's okay it's a daily and I'll sit and wait :)

Meth, downpipes and cutout are HUGE gainers for this platform.
The Airaid on the Flex/SHO showed a .2 loss in 1/4 mile times from multiple separate tests by users.
Another option is 100 octane, huge gains from the additional timing.
Just remember the catted downpipes I sell for the explorer use cats that pass emissions, I don't know if LMS has swapped over to the same cats as us on this platform yet or not.

Meth, downpipes and cutout are HUGE gainers for this platform.
The Airaid on the Flex/SHO showed a .2 loss in 1/4 mile times from multiple separate tests by users.
Another option is 100 octane, huge gains from the additional timing.
Just remember the catted downpipes I sell for the explorer use cats that pass emissions, I don't know if LMS has swapped over to the same cats as us on this platform yet or not.

I appreciate the post. Even on my big G35 build I don't like to spray anything-- so that's way out of the question on my daily.

I seriously appreciate the info on the intake, I'll stay away and dive into opening up the exhaust.

Florida couldn't care less about emissions- Catless on the G35 ^_^

Let me know if you want some downpipes, I have them as well.
A little E85 mixing also has great gains but need to limit to E30 at the max.

Let me know if you want some downpipes, I have them as well.
A little E85 mixing also has great gains but need to limit to E30 at the max.

You ever do a Electronic cutout on these? I'd be deeply interested in something like that.

I feel the same, I was hoping more would be done on this platform by now. It seems as there are enough V6 Ecoboost (Sho,Flex, Explorer etc) and F150 (Longitudal). It seems even for the F150 not much happening. I'm actually hesitant to continue spending money on mods with the lack of support. Hopefully it picks up soon.

Right now we have more problems to solve than just how to get more power.

A few of us that are getting big power with tunes and other mods are having major issues getting it to the ground. On a hard launch, the wheel hop on my 1 - 2 shift is earth shattering. So bad that I won't even do a hard launch until this issue is resolved.... Which really sucks because hard off the line is how your gonna get a big fat jump on a Mustang or Camaro....

Mike have you heard anything else on those coilovers?

Jtrain where in FL are you?

Cheers....

I've definitely noticed that on some of the video's I've seen.

I've seen a few 1.8 60' which isn't bad. Going from an SRT8 Jeep to this, I can tell that this drive-terrain isn't near the balls that the Jeep's was (And that's okay).

I'm located in West Palm Beach, but I travel the state (in my ford) For work. Looks like Torrie is the answer to my tune issue, but I have to deal with the mistake I made first, before I jump into something else.

I'm confident I'll get the tune handled though :)

Thanks largely inpart to the help on these forums.

Back