Sub Amp combo what should i set it at?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sub Amp combo what should i set it at??

Explorer94GV

Reaction score
City, State
Springdale, Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT 97' XLT AWD V8
this is my first system and im about to get this sub installed with my amp but i have no idea how it should be set at so i get the most out of it without burning or blowing it out. first the amp is a rockford fosgate 1500.1 bd this is what the specs are --RMS Power @ 4ohms: 750w x 1 --RMS Power @ 2ohms: 1500w x 1. im going to run 0 gauge wire into this amp. now for my sub it is a cerwin vega 15" stroker the one i have is the dual 2ohm edition. its rated at 1200rms at 600rms per voice coil. i know that strokers can go way past there rated specs, but i dont know if my amp will still run efficent enough or to hard for this speaker. the fosgate amp is mono so i think i should just hook it up at 2 ohms 1500x1 but once again this is my first system and i want to get some vets to lmk if this is ok. any help is wanted. thxs!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well if it says 1500x1 figure about 1600. RF always under rated their amps. mine is supposed to be 500x1 @ 2 ohms stable. but its 600x1 cause thats what it says on the sheet.

yes my birth sheet is rated at 1771 but will these be to much for my amp/speaker?

How are you planning on wiring the VC's? Series is gonna make a 4 ohm load and parallel will make a 1 ohm load, no way to make 2 2 ohm voice coils equal 2 ohms...

I've seen (with my own eyes) an 18" Stroker plugged into a 240V wall outlet.

What happend when it was pluged into the 240v? A big pop?

Originally posted by VairKing
What happend when it was pluged into the 240v? A big pop?

Nope... BOOOOOOOOOM! It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen, it was in a ported box (forget the size) tuned to about 40ish Hz. It took it for I'd guess 15 or 20 seconds, then they unplugged it. Sub was fine. If you ever get a chance to go the an electronics show where CV will be, I've heard the do some insane stuff at their booths on occassions.

yeah, you're going to have to wire it at 4 ohms mono since the amp isnt rated to be run at 1 ohm mono. if you got the dual 4 ohm voice coil stroker, you could wire it at 2 ohms mono.

my stroker is 2 ohm so what shall i do? that is nutz about plugging it in. i've seen pics of a 250pd guy standing on the 18 inch stroker and it not evening putting a mark in it. all i know is those things are durable as heck!

it has dual 2 ohm voice coils, so it can only be wired at 4 ohms or 1 ohm. if it had dual 4 ohm coils it could be wired at 8 ohms or 2 ohms.

you have to wire it 4 ohms so you dont damage your amp by wiring it parallel @ 1 ohm.

ok thanks i will let you guys know how it comes out and have pics of my complete multimedia,dynamat,and speakers coming out asap!

A first system!?! That's awesome. Good luck with the stroker. Get the sticker that says Wanna see my 18" Stroker :) I saw it on an Explorer on sounddomain. Anyway, that system is going to sound awesome!

Back