Successful addition of "Tow/Haul" feature was simple and easy! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Successful addition of "Tow/Haul" feature was simple and easy!

Bobs2018ExplorerSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Livermore, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport 4WD
Callsign
KD6ANY
After recently reading some older forum posts, where others had successfully enabled the “Tow/Haul” feature on their earlier, non-tow-package model years, I was intrigued as to whether or not I might also be able to add it to my own 2018. I wanted to see if my own 2018 “basic” XLT also just happened to have the unused connector stored behind the headlight switch panel, as had been mentioned in those earlier posts.

After popping-open the side-panel of the LH end of the dash, a flashlight and mirror quickly revealed that there was a small, unused wiring harness, terminating in an 8-pin connector, that was plugged into a vacant storage slot that was molded into the rear of the headlight panel. It was there, unused and stored, but its location surely indicated it was solely intended for a tow/haul switch. With that discovery, I decided to go ahead and gamble a bit, so I ordered not only the tow switch, but also the required alternative headlight switch panel (that has the opening for the tow button switch).

Once the switch arrived, it was a perfect match-up for the electrical connector, so that was good, and I plugged it in. I then started-up the car, to see what would happen when I pushed the button, and when I tested it, a never-before-seen amber “Tow/Haul” light appeared in my cluster (see photo), so that was encouraging.

Now, with the 6F55 transmission, engaging this feature supposedly does a couple of things, such as preventing the tranny from going into overdrive, while also changing the shift parameters a bit. Since my non-tow-package Explorer has the alternative 6F50 transmission, I took it out for a road test, to see what, if anything, it might do in this mode. What I found was that a simple push of the button would definitely lock-out the overdrive feature, such as at freeway speeds, which is what I was really looking for. However, I have not noticed any changing of the shift parameters, possibly because of the differences in transmissions? Anyway, that’s OK, because I can always use my Sport Mode feature if I ever really needed it (a feature that DEFINITELY does change the shift points and other characteristics)! Having a simple button to just take it out of overdrive (which should prevent the transmission from “hunting” when towing up a hill, or, for controlling descent speed down a hill) still seems like a good thing to have, at least for my needs. If that’s all I get out of this little project, then I’m OK with it!

My total cost for the two parts I needed was only about $85. Here are the current part numbers (at least for the 2018 XLT), as well as the actual Ford Online descriptions, used for each part:

(1) “Instrument Panel Voltage Regulator Switch” - P/N BB5Z-13D730-EA (SW-6843) - Note that this switch only offers the single "Tow/Haul" button in the center, and no other functional buttons. (If you have the "power liftgate", and/or, the "auto-park" features, you'll need a different version of this switch that offers one or more of the other two buttons, as needed.

(1) “Instrument Panel” (For the Ebony/Black interior color) - P/N FB5Z-7804338-DA

Attachments

• Pic1.JPG
    Pic1.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 815
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 401
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 410
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 371
  • Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 429
  • Pic8.jpg
    Pic8.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 404
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 412
  • Pic7.jpg
    Pic7.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 1,363

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i ordered the switch today.

tell me more about this "Sport Mode"...

My 2018 XLT has a "Sport Mode" on the shift lever, whereas if you put it into that mode (which then lights-up the "S" on the instrument cluster), it radically changes the shift points and gear duration in the transmission. Its been my understanding that this option is "standard" on all 6F50-transmission-equipped vehicles, at least of this model year? If I engage this mode, it immediately makes you hang on for dear life, if you give it the gas while in this mode.

Also, and only when in this mode, you can then use a little "Up/Down" switch on the shift lever, which lets you manually shift the gears either up or down, as you want. This switch replaces the steering wheel "paddles" on the top-of-the-line Explorer Sport model, but their function is identical.

oh, gotcha. I have the S too. I never use it.

You should try it sometime... it's hot!

I found a new switch set that has all 3. I already had rear hatch open, and the other 2 were blank. I removed the old and in with the new switch and on mine it has a small light that lights up on dash, but also a large square like warning that says tow/haul mode on. The third is for the auto park mode, which i may or may not pursue in the future. I need to find out mine has oil cooler or tranny cooler oem. Another day another project.
Thanks for the heads up on this addition.

Just found the hidden connector. Will look for a switch and panel for a ‘14.
Thanks!!

Good to hear!

Please refer back to my original posting, where I provided the part nos. needed for both the singular "Tow" button switch, and then the lower dash panel needed to mount the switch (in the color Ebony/Black). You'll need to verify those numbers, but they are likely the same as for the 2014, so that might save you a little time in looking for the parts you need.

Also, note that the part number I listed is for the switch is for the one that only has the tow button in the center, and does not also have the button needed for the power tailgate release. If you need the double switch unit, that part number had a slightly-different suffix (P/N BB5Z-13D730-CA). Again, be sure to verify all of these numbers before ordering.

Good luck!

Remember, the 2018 is different than the 2014 panel. Bob has a 2018.
joe

Thanks, Joe, this is why I always say "verify the part nos. first"! LOL!

Switch ordered from Tasca, panel
From the bay.
Thanks, folks!

Does anyone know if this will work on a 2017 PIU 3.7L TI-VCT that has the instrument cluster voltage regulator switch already that only has the Secure Idle mode button? Obviously I would lose the Secure Idle function, which I never use, but would it unlock the tow mode? Do I need to make a change using Forscan possibly?

$_57.jpg

Back