superchips and new top speed

dagsnregi

Reaction score
City, State
Alhambra, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 EB V8
Ok,

I think we are all aware that the custom chips out there provide us with a raised top speed limiter. If anyone out there has done this mod, what's the new top speed? or how fast have you done? Just wondering.

And of course none of us would do this in the real world, just on the track.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was kinda wondering that as well... and how fast can my stock 95 4.0L go w/o shutting off? I've had it up to 115

Mine used to top off at 100 stock (95 sport) and after superchip i got it to 108 and it stopped, but my chip wasnt functioning correctly yet, i tried to test it the other day and was at 105 but i slowed down because i am so scared of cops lol, this was of course at the track too....

I think my 97 Sport SOHC is brain dead. It idles just as smooth as can be, pulls hard when on the throttle and runs like the cats MEOW. I've had it up to 120 MPH before letting off the throttle (with more to go). It also appears that the REV limiter doesn't work either. RPMs only drop about 4-500 RPMs between shifts when right on the throttle. When throttleing hard, it runs right up to 6000 RPMs, shifts, drops to about 5500 RPMs and keeps going. It goes into OD between 85-90 MPH. Scanner at work shows the speedometer is only off by 2MPH and I've had the RPM's up to 6800 steady without cutout.

sounds like your really stressing that motor, right now i only redline at 4200 or something stock. 6000 would be nice, but how 6800?

My '94 OHV 4.0L used to red-line at 5200 RPM. My '97 SOHC 4.0L red-lined at 6000 RPM before my Superchip. It now red-lines somewhere near 6500 RPM. SWLathrop has a different engine than you have in your '96 espnfreak.

ive for 110 in my 5.0 '97 before, then the limiter kicked it..

i didnt know it had a limiter the first time i did it and i almost cried cause i could only hit 110, i KNOW it wants to go so much faster!

im willing to bet if i didnt have a limiter i could hit 120 + easy, stock..

with a chip and no limiter im guessing crusing at 135 would be easy, no?

Damn. You guys are sitting here saying you could get to 120, 110, 100 mph stock. My '94's speedometer only goes to 85 mph. (Not that I haven't brought the arrow all the way around the bottom a couple times, but that's a different story.) I couldn't even measure those speeds if I wanted to.

These 4.0 SOHC's like to RUN. I checked mine again today on a stretch of road. It kicked into OD at 90 MPH. The RPM's dropped off to 4000 an continued to pull hard. The only mods I have is AMSOIL air filter w/cut box and AMSOIL synthetics in everything (Engine, Tranny, front & rear axles, T-case and Power steering). Otherwise, it's a 100% stock unit. I am looking at getting a set of TORQUE MASTER spark plugs for the little rascal. :)

AMSOIL products in my Sport
------------------------------------
Air Filter: TS-122
Engine oil: Series 2000 0W-30
Transmission : Universal ATF
Transfer Case: Universal ATF
Front/Rear Axle: Series 2000 75W-90
Power Steering: Universal ATF

Back